Question No POST after shutdown/sleep mode

Nov 8, 2020
Hello! Two months ago I built my first PC. It worked very well for the weeks until one day when I tried to start there was no POST and no signal on the monitor, just RGBs and fans running at full speed. I made sure that all PSU cable are properly connected but it didn't help. Eventually I took the PC to a local repair store, where they told that they found no problems whatsoever and that the BIOS loaded properly from the get-go. I took it home and, indeed, it worked well for a week. Then the problem came back, this time there was no POST after restarting the PC from the sleep mode. Once again I tightened the PSU-Mobo connections and reseated RAM, GPU and CMOS. No success. I took it to the same repair store where they told that the problem was that GPU was improperly installed in the slot. Again I took it back home and it worked properly for two days. Then, today, I got it into the sleep mode and, once again, there was no POST on restarting, just fans and RGBs. I've tried getting rid of bad current by disconnecting the power cable and pressing the power button for 20 seconds, reseating GPU and RAM and tightening all connections PSU cables on the Mobo. Then I tried with other wall outlets and another 250V 10A cable. Nothing works.

On a side note, ever since I built the PC, the CPU debug led on the Mobo has always been on. One thing I suspect might be the source of the problem is that when I first unpacked the Mobo, I put it on the antistatic bag and didn't ground myself. However, I didn't wear a sweater, wear socks or walk on the carpet and when the PC does boot, it was very stable. There were never any crashes, black screens or anything like that. The no POST so far happened only after a normal shutdown/sleep mode. The BIOS and the drivers are up to date. What do you think might be the issue?

Mobo: B450 Mortar Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI 1660 Super Gaming X
PSU: Corsair TX 650 W
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200 CL16

It's not uncommon for people to report problems restarting their PC after using Sleep Mode. I would suggest not using Sleep Mode or Hibernate mode.
When you have this problem, do you first try unplugging the PC and clearing the CMOS?
Is your motherboard updated to all the latest drivers and BIOS?
Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow warning signs?

jasonf2

Distinguished
As far as the antistatic strap goes did you have a discharge to the board when you were working with it? If not you are probably fine. Grounding straps, while always a good idea, only allow for the static buildup to shed to ground when it is building up. If you have ever noticed that you cannot always drag your feet on the carpet and shock someone? It is because relative humidity moves around a lot and unless it is pretty low you cannot build a good charge. If the PC ran after you assembled it a static strap not being used is a pretty unlikely culprit. I have worked with a lot of electronics over the years and have to admit that I very rarely use a strap at all. I do make sure to ground myself out before touching any electronics, usually by touching something that is grounded (like a plugged in case). If grounding myself gives a shock I will find and wear a strap. I know this isn't a great best practice and certainly wouldn't stand in a production environment but I have been doing this since the mid 90s and have never had a problem.

Nov 8, 2020
I don't think that the sleep mode is the main culprit because the problem also occurred after a seemingly normal shutdown. It seems that it is restarting in general where something goes wrong. I've tried clearing the CMOS, but it didn't help and it also didn't help when I did it before taking the PC to the repair store the last time. I've tried starting the PC without the RAM and without the GPU to see what happens and in both cases the only debug led shining was the CPU one. The BIOS and the drivers should be up to date. The drivers I updated myself and the guys at the repair store said that they had updated the BIOS.
I opened the device manager once after assembling the PC and saw no alerts there.

As far as the ESD goes, I didn't have a discharge when touching the board and I hardly ever have it in general, it may have happened twice in the last 5 years. The humidity was also quite high when I was assembling the PC, so I still hope that the problem may be something else than a serious ESD damage.