No post after upgrading cooler

Incept3d

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
As the title states I recently installed a H80i cooler. I was running great before the install.

Specs:
I7 4790k
MSI Gaming 5 mobo
GTX 1070
16gb ddr3 2x8gb
XFX 550w bronze

So with my specs I think I know what the issue is, I would just like confirmation. Anyway when I power on it runs for a few seconds and restarts. It doesn't hang on a code, it will reboot at 03 which is the early north bridge init or 55 when is early memory.

Is my power supply too low for the increased load of the cooler? Or did I possibly damage a component? I reseated my memory to no avail. Any input would be appreciated.

Solution
well that's probably your issue, when you reinstalled the cpu, the pin must've gotten bent. not what I'd've guessed, but be careful with using a socket with a bent pin, you don't want that electricity to arc, that could kill the cpu. Sorry about this issue =/ bent socket pins are the worst.

MrWillyP

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
no, your psu is adequate. I've run a 4790k with a 1080 on a 600w before.
if you can try starting the pc with the old cooler again, if it works, then you may just need to reinstall the watercooler, if you can get to the splash screen, try to get to the bios, you may need to turn off the cpu fan error.

Incept3d

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
Well, I reinstalled the cooler several times same issue, I saw another post mentioning if the cooler was too tight it would affect the memory, but that was more a dimm slot stopped working. What I've found is I've lost dual channel ability when in dual channel configuration it does what I mentioned above, when in single channel it posts and boots fine. I found a single bent pin in the cpu socket, and I am unable to fix it, my tweezers can't seem to get underneath it and pull it up. :/

MrWillyP

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
well that's probably your issue, when you reinstalled the cpu, the pin must've gotten bent. not what I'd've guessed, but be careful with using a socket with a bent pin, you don't want that electricity to arc, that could kill the cpu. Sorry about this issue =/ bent socket pins are the worst.

Solution
MrWillyP is probably right, your bent pin sounds like an issue. If all the contacts aren't lined up properly and making a connection, without knowing what each of the hundreds of pins do and which one is now disabled due to being bent, all bets are off. If it has anything to do with the memory controller then that's the issue there.

TRENDING THREADS