No POST - Asus P8Z77-V - VGA LED

SurprisePizza

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
My PC was working fine this morning. I shut it down before going to work, and when I got back, it wouldn't POST. Opening up the case, I find the VGA LED is on, indicating a graphics fault.

I've tried re-seating my graphics card, checking the PCIe power cables are plugged firmly in, and tried it in a different PCIe slot, with no change. I've also tried connecting my monitor to the motherboard's DVI port (running off the CPU graphics), with and without the graphics card installed.

I've also tried generic troubleshooting steps, like unplugging everything else and using a single stick of RAM, and tried clearing the CMOS.

With it not working on either my graphics card or the CPU's graphics hardware, I'm thinking it must be a motherboard fault. Any other ideas?

If it is the motherboard, any suggestions for a replacement? I'd rather not spend a huge amount, as I was planning to build a new system when Skylake CPUs are released.

My specs:

Intel i7 3770K
Asus P8Z77-V
Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Phantom GLH
2x4GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
Corsair TX650M PSU
Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
+2 HDDs and a DVDRW

Thanks!

Can you test your video card in another computer just to make sure it is ok? I doubt the video card would be the issue being the onboard isn't working either. The other thing it could be is maybe the power supply, doubtful but worth checking.

SurprisePizza

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

Actually, it seems like it was a corrupt BIOS. Not sure why that would cause a VGA fault, but after doing a BIOS Flashback, it sprung back into life.

I had tried the BIOS flashback yesterday, but it turns out that my USB pendrive that I thought was FAT32 formatted was actually partitioned, and the first partition (the only one that shows up in Windows) was original flavour FAT, which the BIOS Flashback didn't like, apparently.

Thanks for the advice anyway!

whatimnot

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
i have the same board and the problem the only fix was to rma the board also if overclock overlook overlook the at best for mine is 1866 with ddr3 6400 trident with tpu on this is my final time returning board because the sound went out along the keyboard port. i hope this kinda helps understand that there are some bad things will happen if you overclock to much.