[SOLVED] No Post at First Pci-x Slot

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Hello,

Last week i sold my 1070 and it was working fine at first pci-x16 slot.

Now i got an 1080. With this card i cant get any display signal thru all 3 display ports and dvi slot on the first pci-x16 slot. Its working fine at second pci-x slot but gpu z shows its on x4. I did reset bios, clear cmos, w.o m2 and m2 on the second slot, tryed every link speed(gen1,gen2,gen3) no luck so far.

Motherboard : Z490 AsRock Steel Legend
Cpu: i9 10850k.
Ram : Corsair 3200 mhz cl15.
Psu Corsair Tx750m

Is there any opinion to fix this problem?

Solution
I fixed it. Only thing i didnt touch was rams. I took both of them and plug 1 of them at first ram slot. They were on 2-4. I plug the gpu and boom it did post. I plug second ram at 3 slot and it did post again. I said its fine lets turn on xmp pc stuck on boot loop debugs shows ram causing problem. After 1 min pc was booting to bios at default mhz. Then i plug rams to 2-4 and it does boot w.o problem i turn on xmp and everything is fine right now. Dont know what was causing before ram reseat. Gpu is on first pcix16 slot but gpu-z says its gen 3.0 and x8 speed. I think m2. ssd causing this cuz of pci-e line share thing i will try m2 ssd on the second and third slot.

It did took 5 hours to fix. It was 4:00 o'clock when i was done :=)

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your CMOS clearing, disconnect from the wall and display, remove the battery for 30 mins and then replace, see if that helps. Inspect the first PCIe slot for any damage. You could also use a fine bristle point brush and clear the slot of any dirt or debris.

How old is the PSU in your build?

One other thing to note, when you sourced the card, did you check and see if the card was fully functional? I'm assuming you bought it off of a miner, unless it was only used for gaming.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your CMOS clearing, disconnect from the wall and display, remove the battery for 30 mins and then replace, see if that helps. Inspect the first PCIe slot for any damage. You could also use a fine bristle point brush and clear the slot of any dirt or debris.

How old is the PSU in your build?

One other thing to note, when you sourced the card, did you check and see if the card was fully functional? I'm assuming you bought it off of a miner, unless it was only used for gaming.
Bios version is 1.90 which is latest. Psu is 3 years old and i have different psu no luck with it too.
I didnt see any damage on the motherboard slot. As i said there was an 1070 on that slot i sold it like 4-5 days ago.
I did unplug everything when i clear cmos. Bios was fully resetted. I tested this card before buying it was fully functional. It was on pcix16 slot on the owners motherboard.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
You could try and reflash the BIOS for the motherboard, clear the CMOS after a successful BIOS flash and retry with the GPU. See if that helps.
I didnt mention but this motherboard have debug leds and the card passes those debug leds on the first slot.

I should flash the bios with same version?

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
I should flash the bios with same version?
Yes

I didnt mention but this motherboard have debug leds and the card passes those debug leds on the first slot.
Then try working with other monitors/cables.
Only thing i can try its dvi port and i already done these things i mentioned above with that dvi cable too.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
I meant beyond them. If your GPU works on another (donor/test)motherboard at full speed then the issue with the board, the slot or the processor(that connects to the PCIe slot).
I remember i had a gpu like 15 years old(hd4830) i put it and it did post. Im gonna reflash the bios lets see whats gonna happen.

Hello,

Last week i sold my 1070 and it was working fine at first pci-x16 slot.

Now i got an 1080. With this card i cant get any display signal thru all 3 display ports and dvi slot on the first pci-x16 slot. Its working fine at second pci-x slot but gpu z shows its on x4. I did reset bios, clear cmos, w.o m2 and m2 on the second slot, tryed every link speed(gen1,gen2,gen3) no luck so far.

Motherboard : Z490 AsRock Steel Legend
Cpu: i9 10850k.
Ram : Corsair 3200 mhz cl15.
Psu Corsair Tx750m

Is there any opinion to fix this problem?

Used card that works in 4x mode? Chances are you have a burnt/broken trace. Or it was used for mining rig rigged to run @4x, and the owner didn't return it to stock. Return it.

For the most part a 1070 is a chopped down 1080. There are no differences far as the motherboard is concerned. Power difference is not that significant.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Used card that works in 4x mode? Chances are you have a burnt/broken trace. Or it was used for mining rig rigged to run @4x, and the owner didn't return it to stock. Return it.

For the most part a 1070 is a chopped down 1080. There are no differences far as the motherboard is concerned. Power difference is not that significant.
I mean i was asking why it doesnt post on first pci-x slot. It was 16x on the owner i bought it from.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Hmmm, see if you can use an eraser on the gold contacts of the GPU. Wipe clean then reseat and see if that works out. How are you cooling that processor?
Its noctua nh-d15. I thought i tightened these screws too much. I unplug it 5 min ago and tryed without it and nothing changed.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
I fixed it. Only thing i didnt touch was rams. I took both of them and plug 1 of them at first ram slot. They were on 2-4. I plug the gpu and boom it did post. I plug second ram at 3 slot and it did post again. I said its fine lets turn on xmp pc stuck on boot loop debugs shows ram causing problem. After 1 min pc was booting to bios at default mhz. Then i plug rams to 2-4 and it does boot w.o problem i turn on xmp and everything is fine right now. Dont know what was causing before ram reseat. Gpu is on first pcix16 slot but gpu-z says its gen 3.0 and x8 speed. I think m2. ssd causing this cuz of pci-e line share thing i will try m2 ssd on the second and third slot.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution

Good job