Question No POST beeps with just PSU, CPU, HSF and speaker installed

Jan 4, 2020
So I had some problems with my PC and figured out it was the old MOBO or CPU, so I decided to upgrade to new ryzen cpus from my fx 6300. For this I needed a new AM4 motherboard and I got a ryzen 3 1200 all from amazon.

First motherboard came and didn't power up. Got 2nd one and have installed CPU and HSF onto motherboard. Now it powers up ( the fans spin ), however I left out the RAM as per the breadboarding instructions so I should get some "missing RAM" beep codes from my motherboard, but I get nothing.
I know the PSU works as I took it from a working pc. I know the speaker works as I tested it on that same working PC.
At this point I'm assuming there is a problem with either the CPU or motherboard. So I am thinking I will have to return them.
Is there anything I could have missed, or a possible fix for it?

I figured the chances of getting a dud motherboard 2 times in a row were slim, but also getting a broken motherboard and CPU would be slim too.

Thanks in advance

Motherboard: ASROCK 320M-HDV R4.0
CPU: RYZEN 3 1200
HSF: WRAITH STEALTH COOLER (stock cooler)
speaker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DNPWB5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PSU: WinPower Ea4g-750

EDIT:
ASRock motherboards might just be insane. I got another system running with aforementioned PSU and even got a short beep to indicate successful POST. I then had the idea of removing the ram to see what the beep codes should be without ram (out of interest and so i would know in future). Lo and behold I was greeted by only silence. It seems ASRock motherboards have no beep codes when no ram is inserted. Truly baffling. I've bought a new PSU so I can try out the whole rig again and see if the problem is solved. (ie there wasn't a problem in the first place with the cpu or motherboard. I'm tilted at this point tbh yeehaw)
P.S. The system didn't work with my psu. Hence the psu was probably the main culprit behind my troubles grrr.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
This cpu does not have integrated graphics. The socket AM4 Athlons and A-series, 2200/3200g, 2400/3400g all have igpus.
You need to use a discreet gpu with the Ryzen 1200.

I'm not trying to get any graphics going yet, I'm only trying to get the beep codes from the POST. As you may notice I haven't even installed RAM yet.

Jan 4, 2020
What does your system do if you install the RAM and a graphics card and what RAM are you gonna use?

With the RAM (vengeance lpx 3000 1x8gb) and graphics card (gigabyte windforce r9 280) installed it appears to power up (fans etc.), but no display on the screen and no post beeps. It was due to this why I started breadboarding it.

Jan 4, 2020
Did you connect the 8pin 12v for the cpu? Speaker won't work without it.

Yes this is connected. I also noticed the CPU gets hot after the system runs for a while, which suggests the CPU is receiving power ok from the motherboard. (but then why won't it POST?)

My head has long since blew up at this point; been working on this for days now.

Jan 4, 2020
What was the problem you had with your old system? It could be connected.

It was working fine, I'd had it for about 2 years or something, then it just cut out one day and wouldn't get a signal, followed by it not turning on at all. I did a lot of diagnosis like buying speaker and breadboarding. During breadboarding it wouldn't start with just CPU, HSF so I got a new mobo, cpu and ram.

I am not sure if the gpu has a problem. I have posted about another potential problem related to that in a separate thread if you wanna look on my profile that would be appreciated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To be frank, that psu isn't great, whether it's the problem or not, i do suggest updating it going forward, even just visiting a PC store service center to get it checked out and another tried with your system. Seasonic Focus Gold 550w or Corsair CXM550w would be a good start.

Either you're unlucky with rma'd parts or the psu isn't cutting it.

Jan 4, 2020
In short as an answer to my original question: Without RAM the motherboard WILL NOT BEEP. With CPU, RAM (and integrated graphics), I get one short beep to indicate successful POST so the speaker definitely works.
I tested this on a different motherboard (ASRock M3A790GXH/128M) that I found lying around. I'm pretty sure most ASRock boards use the same beep codes anyway. I am absolutely flabbergasted that there wouldn't be error codes with no RAM inserted. Led me on a wild goose chase for the better part of a week.