no post, breadboarded, still nothing.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
So I got home from vacation last night, my computer was off. I turned it on, no post. No beeps, nothing. I took the ram out, got the 3 beeps. Took it all out, set it up on a laundry basket, it worked. Put it back in the case, it worked. But no internet? No network adapters even in device manager. Rebooted, went into safe mode, network adapters show up. Figured I just needed drivers. Rebooted, post, got to windows splash screen, went into restart loop. I turned it off, went to lunch, and here I am. Back to the beginning.. no post, 3 beeps with no ram.. 1 stick will post -sometimes- but usually freezes at bios or splash screen. Last night I figured it was windows, since it worked indefinitely with no internet. Now I'm thinking mobo? Psu works in my bros alien ware.

Setup
Corsair 750 watt
Mobo- Asus m4a79xtd
Ram- 4x 2gb gskill ripjaws
Amd Phenom 2 black edition
2x 250 gb sea gates hdds
1 spare wd terabyte hdd- borrowed

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
only thing i added was a wireless card, about 3 weeks ago. never even installed the drivers because i just hardwired it. im trying to reinstall windows but it freezes at bios before i can change my boot device to the cd drive, the reason i borrowed my friends tb hdd, even with it plugged in it still freezes. motherboard is asus m4a79xtd... if i take out both harddrives will it auto boot the cd? but then what do i save windows to? i think it might be my dimm slots in the mobo, or something is getting overheated... my gpu? idk i have like 6 fans in it. what would make it freeze in bios (just started freezing, used to not post)

g-unit1111

Titan

Does your motherboard run on anything but default settings? If it does then try going into the BIOS and loading defaults and see what it does.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
freezes as soon as i change anything in the bios, i can sit in bios indefinitely and still move the selection, as soon as i hit enter on a setting it freezes and i cant hit esc or f10 for options, i thought defaults too-froze....

this is with 1 stick of ram which -sometimes- lets it post. all four sticks i get nothing but the fans starting up

freezing in bios has to be hardware doesnt it? It makes it to the windows splash screen if I run last good configuration, but freezes.

g-unit1111

Titan

At this point it's hard to tell. It could be your RAM, it could be your motherboard, it could be something else.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
freezing in bios has to be hardware doesnt it? It makes it to the windows splash screen if I run last good configuration, but freezes.

Im gonna borrow some RAM today, right now actually as Im at my buddies, I just need a checklist to run through really. Im stumped. Doesnt make sense that it freezes as soon as I try to do anything. Even in BIOS.

Heres what Im thinking when i get home, assuming step 1 doesnt work i go to step 2 and so on
1. Try new RAM.
2. Try my brothers PSU.
3. Try my brothers GPU.
4. Reinstall windows on my friends hdd

How can I narrow it down if none of this works? I think steps 2 and 3 arent going to work anyways, i believe both mine are good or are drawing too much power when I try to change something?

g-unit1111

Titan

It's definitely the hardware. The problem is I can't see your build so I'm only speculating that it's the motherboard. If you can try contacting Asus to see what they'd recommend I would heavily suggest doing so. I can't imagine it's a power issue if your PC is able to boot up.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
aight thanks bro. appreciate it. i got a few more days of messing with this in me before I take it to my computer guy. Ill keep ya updated if anything changes or i figure it out

I wish I had a mobo to swap out before I get a new one. It seems like everytime I fix something, something else goes wrong. -- Started out not posting, then no network adapters when I got it to go through, now its freezing whenever I put some stress on it.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
So with the new RAM it posts but only with one stick still- confirming my dimm slots are bad?? And it isn't recognizing windows on my hard drive but I'm reinstalling now.

Edit-
I'm more annoyed than ever. I got it to boot, 1 stick of RAM, reinstalled windows.... no network adapters unless I view hiddens- even then there's no LAN just WAN miniport blah blah. When I go to install the driver for realtek it says no network adapters found -something about deep sleep mode.. my network adapter is built into the motherboard?? The end of the Ethernet cable is lighting up orange showing its connected I presume?

No worries- I have a wireless card I'll try... same problem- I put the CD in to install the driver and it cannot find the network adapter. Nothing shows in device manager, no green led comes on on the card itself. Wtf?

This must be proof my motherboard is fried?? Cannot find the built in Ethernet adapter? Cannot even recognize my wireless card. I'm going to try safe mode tomorrow and see if they show up in device manager... if they do its not the mobo? Then I'm completely stumped...any advice is appreciated at this point.

I don't understand why it was freezing earlier, would dimm slots going bad cause that? I did have my original 1 stick in the A slot. When I tried A with my friends RAM it didn't work so I put the stick in B... it worked. Now there's no internet which makes my build a very nice solitaire machine....

TRENDING THREADS