[SOLVED] No POST, CPU fan won't spin, orange QLED light.

Apr 4, 2020
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F, GTX 960, Corsair vengeance RAM 8gb. When started the CPU fan does not spin and the QLED trouble shooting light goes orange/red (Red indicates CPU issue). The fan runs if the CPU power cable is disconnected but stops once it's connected, however. There's also no beep or POST; the monitor remains completely black. Furthermore, the PC won't turn off via the conventional case button and has to be turned off at the mains each time. The case and GPU fans spin and the motherboard RGB LED's light up signifying it has power, and the PSU is 450watts, so is unlikely to be the issue. I tried another CPU and the issue remained. Ran the system without the GPU installed and the issue remained. Used different RAM alongside placing it in different slots, yet the issue remained. CMOS was cleared yet the issue, once again, remained. Every cable is in correctly (as far as I'm aware, pictures can be provided). The only problem I can now think of is a defect or incompatible motherboard, yet ASUS's website says that the CPU is compatible. I'm not sure how to check if the motherboard is defect/damaged. Evidence points towards an issue between the motherboard and CPU however am not one hundred percent sure. Help would be very heavily appreciated as I'm building this PC for a friend and they need it ASAP.

Solution
Corsair VS450 PSU. Has been in use for around 4/5 years now? I'd say perhaps old but am not sure of how to check the quality. And yes, the connection on the CPU FAN header is fine. The fan actually works and begins to spin if the CPU power 8 pin is removed. It's as if the motherboard detects a problem with the CPU and stops the fan on purpose.

It could be your PSU. The VS450 is at the bottom of the list Tier 5. It wasn't a really good PSU when it came out and now it's 4-5 years old. I would replace that PSU with a good quality PSU of at least 550 watts for headroom.

The first thing I would try is another PSU and to look at your BIOS. If this doesn't work you can look at the board and CPU.

Any bent pin on the CPU? CPU heatsink...
Did the Asus ROG Strix B450-F came with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" on the box? If not then the board needs a BIOS update to support a Ryzen 3000 series.

There is a difference between "CPU supported" and "CPU ready". The board can support the 3800x but not without the BIOS update that makes it support the CPU.

Apr 4, 2020
Yes, it did. On the box and on the website.
Did the Asus ROG Strix B450-F came with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" on the box? If not then the board needs a BIOS update to support a Ryzen 3000 series.

There is a difference between "CPU supported" and "CPU ready". The board can support the 3800x but not without the BIOS update that makes it support the CPU.

If I was to need to update the BIOS, how would I go about that? The only other CPU I have on hand is an AMD FX-6300

If I was to need to update the BIOS, how would I go about that? The only other CPU I have on hand is an AMD FX-6300

What is your motherboard box saying exactly? Is it saying "Ryzen 3000 suported" or "Ryzen 3000 Ready".

The FX-6300 isn't the same socket so you can't use that. The only way to update the BIOS if you need an update is to use an older CPU that fits in the AM4 socket. You can lend an old CPU from AMD. THey will send you one so you can update the BIOS and you have to send it back to them after that.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Apr 4, 2020
What is your motherboard box saying exactly? Is it saying "Ryzen 3000 suported" or "Ryzen 3000 Ready".

The FX-6300 isn't the same socket so you can't use that. The only way to update the BIOS if you need an update is to use an older CPU that fits in the AM4 socket. You can lend an old CPU from AMD. THey will send you one so you can update the BIOS and you have to send it back to them after that.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit
It says Ryzen 3000 READY. However I know these boards have a tendency to not be, and a few of the Amazon reviews say they had to update the board. Thank you very much for that link, I'll look in to it ASAP. In the mean time, let's say the BIOS isn't the issue, what else could be?

Apr 4, 2020
What is that 450Watts PSU brand and model? is it an old PSU or a low quality PSU? Is your CPU fan connected properly to the CPU_FAN header?
Corsair VS450 PSU. Has been in use for around 4/5 years now? I'd say perhaps old but am not sure of how to check the quality. And yes, the connection on the CPU FAN header is fine. The fan actually works and begins to spin if the CPU power 8 pin is removed. It's as if the motherboard detects a problem with the CPU and stops the fan on purpose.

It could be your PSU. The VS450 is at the bottom of the list Tier 5. It wasn't a really good PSU when it came out and now it's 4-5 years old. I would replace that PSU with a good quality PSU of at least 550 watts for headroom.

The first thing I would try is another PSU and to look at your BIOS. If this doesn't work you can look at the board and CPU.

Any bent pin on the CPU? CPU heatsink properly installed? Too much pressure from the heatsink can cause CPU shift and could cause issuess.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020

Any bent pin on the CPU? CPU heatsink properly installed? Too much pressure from the heatsink can cause CPU shift and could cause issuess.
The heatsink is on correctly as far as I'm aware, how can I tell if it has too much pressure? The CPU is fine. Thanks for the PSU suggestion as I wasn't sure whether to make that jump. I'll look in to a new PSU if the BIOS update doesn't work. Thanks for your help.