No POST... fans, lights and drives all power on

kharnish

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I've been in the process of slowly upgrading my PC, and just got a new motherboard, processor and memory. I put it all together, tried starting it and it refuses to POST or beep or do anything besides power up the fans and drives. The debug LEDs on my motherboard show nothing at all, which leads me to believe it's the problem, but that's mostly guesswork. The HDD light comes on and stays on, and I'm forced to unplug my PC, since the power button wont turn it off.

I have tried reseating the CPU, video card, and memory. I have unhooked all drives, but can't get anything to show up. I've tried booting with only one DIMM, no difference. I tried resetting the cmos, with both the button and by jumper, as well as removing the battery. I tried removing the board from my case and assembled it on a wood table with bare minimums, but same effect. No POST, no debug LED.

Sadly I dont have any other memory to test with, likewise with another CPU. One of my standoffs in my case seemed a little off, but I don't believe it caused the problem. Sadly, im out of ideas now, and not sure what else to try, or what exactly is causing the problem.

Here are the specs for my system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 (new, stock cooler)
Memory: Corsair CM3X2G1600C9DHX (new)
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (new)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 (seems to work just fine in old system)
PSU: Corsair 750W (recent upgrade, no problems AFAIK)

Any help would be appreciated, since MSI's support has been almost nonexistent so far. Thanks in advance..

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Boot up with the CPU, Mobo, and PSU only, NO RAM, and see if it beeps. If not, your motherboard may be fried.