[SOLVED] No POST for new build

Jan 6, 2020
After a long break between builds (years) decided to get back into the game... having no luck with my current build. Did base assembly and flipped the switch, and while the accent lights came on the motherboard, no fans spun and no POST/display on the monitor. Gigabyte z390 designare motherboard, NZXT Kraken x72 cooler, i9-9900k cpu, Corsair vengeance lpx ram 16gb (8x2), and crucial mx500 1tb m.2 ssd.

I’ve stripped it down to one stick of ram, taken out the ssd, nothing seems to make the fans power on or the motherboard POST. Very frustrating. The one idea I had was that the board seems to have a 4 pin plus an 8 pin 12V power supply and I was using the 8 pin only as my power source didn’t have a 4 pin outlet. I’ve since ordered an additional 8 to 4 pin cable, but I’m not optimistic this will make any difference based on the information I’ve found online... any suggestions???

Frustrating!

Solution
you should be able to split the 8-pin EPS connector and try both ATX 12V connectors.
fans not spinning is usually a indicator those are properly connected.
Jan 6, 2020
As Mr. Spock stated (live long and prosper!), make sure your PSU is properly connected to the 8-pin CPU connector (ATX_12V_2X4) on your motherboard. The other 4-pin connector is only necessary if you're planning on some serious overclocking.

That was my impression as well. At this point I’ve taken the motherboard out of the chassis, placed it on an anti-static mat, checked the pins on the cpu (all fine), reinstalled the cooler and tried to power it up out of the case. Nothing other than the accent lighting turns on, nor do the debug LED’s. No fans spinning, nada.

Jan 6, 2020
I tried that as well, still nothing. I also did the paper clip test on the PSU, which worked, so I think it’s something on the motherboard that’s the issue

TRENDING THREADS