[SOLVED] No Post if Ram is in Dual Channel

Jul 13, 2020
Gigabyte Z170XP-Sli and Asus H270-Plus (for testing)
Intel i5-6600k
Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Some 500W BeQuiet PSU (which is pretty old but was working just fine for high power draw under oc)

So i'm really confused with this issue. Whenever i put my Ram in Dual Channel (1/3 ; 2/4) the pc does not even post. If in (1/2 ; 3/4) it works just fine. The weird thing is this setup worked in dual channel for like 2 years and suddenly after reseating the cpu for a cooler change it stops booting. Since then i reseated the cpu multiple times with no success. Then i noticed that my 2 lower USB Ports on the back of the Mobo stopped working more or less. Whenever i plug something in it disconnects and reconnects constantly until i pull the usb out. The other back USB also stop working under high usage, e.g. games and start dis/reconnecting. So i thought it was a mobo fault, but today i tried a brand new mobo with the exact same ram problem. I didn't have the time to check for the usb problem tho.

What could even be making problems with the RAM und USB Ports? The CPU or PSU or something else entirely?

Solution
It's because this was said. "suddenly after reseating the cpu for a cooler change it stops booting"

That is why pins were suggested. Believe me, we have seen many posts about such problems. If you believe it's not pin related then it could be too much heatsink pressure.

It's one or the two. Or there's something else you're not telling us. Have you done any cpu overclocking? With a program? To have too much vcore applied which OC programs tend to do and eventually killing the IMC. I was recently involved in such a thread.

Post #17

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/yellow-dram-led-on-asus-motherboard-won’t-post.3624810/?view=date
Your symptoms are of a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is easy to do if you do not drop in the processor cleanly.
If you smoosh the processor around to seat it, you will damage a pin with unknown results.
The sockets are designed for only 15 insertions.
There is no need to ever remove the processor again.

What to do??

You could just run in single channel mode.
With a Discrete graphics card, you may notice much difference.

Look again, very carefully at the socket for damage.

Way back, I had a similar situation with a 4690K.
Only by testing different ram, motherboards and processors was it determined that the cpu was defective and was replaced by Intel under warranty.

Reactions: boju
Jul 13, 2020
Your symptoms are of a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is easy to do if you do not drop in the processor cleanly.
If you smoosh the processor around to seat it, you will damage a pin with unknown results.
The sockets are designed for only 15 insertions.
There is no need to ever remove the processor again.

What to do??

You could just run in single channel mode.
With a Discrete graphics card, you may notice much difference.

Look again, very carefully at the socket for damage.

Way back, I had a similar situation with a 4690K.
Only by testing different ram, motherboards and processors was it determined that the cpu was defective and was replaced by Intel under warranty.

Do i really have to tell everyone that i tried two different mainboards, one being completly new? Does anyone actually read the post? I just took a look at both of them, and they're both free of bent pins...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's because this was said. "suddenly after reseating the cpu for a cooler change it stops booting"

That is why pins were suggested. Believe me, we have seen many posts about such problems. If you believe it's not pin related then it could be too much heatsink pressure.

It's one or the two. Or there's something else you're not telling us. Have you done any cpu overclocking? With a program? To have too much vcore applied which OC programs tend to do and eventually killing the IMC. I was recently involved in such a thread.

Post #17

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/yellow-dram-led-on-asus-motherboard-won’t-post.3624810/?view=date

Reactions: Storm7511
Solution
Jul 13, 2020

Post #17

Sry for replying like a d*ckhead before, i was in the midst of playing dark souls and died a bit too much. :rolleyes:

I just checked for Heatsink pressure but that wasn't the problem either. I have to say that i did do some Overclocking with XTU. I only had applied it for a few hours but i guess that that could have been enough...
Guess i'll have to try a different cpu then. Thanks for the help this far

Reactions: boju
Jul 13, 2020
@boju well, this is weird. I tried out a new psu yesterday and i'm currently writing with a different cpu. The RAM issue got fixed with this new 7100 but the two lower usb 3.0 ports on the back of my mainboard still disconnect and reconnect constantly (like every 1-2s) until i plug them out. I also saw that it always install a new driver per reconnect, so now i have like 15+ Blackwidow drivers. In HWInfo it also said that whenever it's connected it's only USB 1.1? They are 3.0 and i just checked for latest chipset / bios /windows update...

What could even be the issue at this point? I replaced PSU, MoBo and CPU...

Jul 13, 2020
So it's the same USB problem across both boards? What device are you plugging in? Im wondering if it's that. Strange for both to behave the same?

I tried multiple devices and it's always the same. I will try the new cpu in combination with the new mainboard tommorow when i can get my hands on it again. I'm guessing that that will fix it. I'll write back when i tested.
It definitly is very strange... I wouldn't even care about the two usbs if it weren't for my oculus that just needs so many of ports.