Jul 19, 2020
Trying to get to the bottom of what is wrong with a friends desktop, from what he's told me it won't turn on after a power surge, 2 capacitors have blown off from the Fans/Front panel controller but everything else appears to be intact.

Only having the CPU and Mobo power cables connected it will boot up into the Bios and no faults or error codes are present ( aside from the no hard drive detected)
But once any SSD or HDD is fully connected and the system is powered on everything will flash on the Mobo and fail to post( sounds and looks like a short circuit), and having to unplug the Mobo from the PSU before it will even attempt to boot again.

I've tried isolating the issue by swapping out the PSU, cables, storage drives and removing the fan control unit from the system with no luck at all.

We did get to a point where we had a SSD pluged in and got it into bios but it wasn't detecting the drive.

Only thing i can think of is it being a Mobo fault, any insight appreciated thanks.

popatim

Titan
it sounds like the drives have also shorted out to me. hopefully the protection diodes tripped and once replaced the drives will work again.

Which exact drives are they?

Have you measured power output at the Sata or molex connectors to make sure they are in specifications?
If yes then can you connect another known good, but old enough that you don't care about it, drive to this PC?

Jul 19, 2020
will need to go check the output of the PSUs later but no matter which PSU we've used any SSD or HHD seems to trip it, but so far everything has been replaced ( Storage drives, PSU, Sata & Molex) with no change thats why it's making me thing it Mobo based.

Edit: i'll also note we've tried my own personal HDD and Hybrid drive, still caused a short but working fine after reinstalling them back into my own desktop.