No post Motherboard or Dead CPU?

jdeicher

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
My pc tripped the breaker several times and I had been noticing that the cpu had been reaching 90C to 100C through A tuning software from ASRock. I noticed a burnt smell that seemed to come from the 24 pin connector and the pci express power connectors just before I got to no post.
The fans and everything seem to be getting power fine and the system shuts on and off via the Power button.
I have done the following troubleshooting:
- reset the cmos battery and tried the clear position with the jumper.
-tried all four ram sticks in each slot one by one.
-tried a new psu
-pulled the board out of the case (did leave the psu in)with only CPU, Ram, and hdmi to dvi connector attached to different gpu's and the integrated chip.
-tried to use motherboard dvd and a flash drive to load bios onto the board but with no post It does not seem to be able to flash/load any bios at all.

Is it likely that the motherboard is the culprit and my cpu survived or am I dealing with a dead cpu?

H97m4 pro AsRock
4690k CPU
16gb ddr3 1600 (crucial ballstix sport) 4x4gb
gtx970
cx600m psu

Solution
I don't know why it says it doesn't requires a BIOS update for the 4690 non K or the 4690s yet it wants a later rev for the 4690K. but apparently if it's an early rev BIOS it wont work.

This board doesn't support BIOS flashback either apparently, you need a CPU in it to flash it.

Also doesn't support any OC on your K series CPU, but I imagine you know that.

Mark RM

Admirable
Wow... yeah the PSU may have sacrificed some rail in itself to keep from starting a fire.

The burning smell... well I think you need to individually diagnose your components and figure out why your CPU was hitting those absurd temps, in the meantime you might have a motherboard short too (fried).

jdeicher

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

would it be worth it to purchase another lga1150 motherboard to test the components?

jdeicher

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
I really think that the power connection 24 pin on the motherboard is a problem. the connector is hard to get out of it with other power supplies as well. It never really bit in unless a lot of pressure was applied. It is about 2.5 years old, but I do have another one but none seem to snap in easily. The old one is really quiet as well.

Also i believe the 4960k was heating up simply because the thermal paste that came on the stock cooler had deteriorated. It was only that hot under load.

I found this board but could I flash it without a processor that is supported from the get go Mine is at the line where it needs flashed according to this. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG_R20/helpdesk_cpu/

Or if there is another board with 4 ram slots that you could recommend that doesn't cost more than $100 preferably. It seems hard to find these chip sets lately. And they're really pricey.

Mark RM

Admirable
I don't know why it says it doesn't requires a BIOS update for the 4690 non K or the 4690s yet it wants a later rev for the 4690K. but apparently if it's an early rev BIOS it wont work.

This board doesn't support BIOS flashback either apparently, you need a CPU in it to flash it.

Also doesn't support any OC on your K series CPU, but I imagine you know that.

Solution