No post, no beep, no video, debug code 00

guibreda

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
New Skylake Rig:

MSI Z170A GAMING M7 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G - MSi
2 x Samsung SM951 M.2 256GB PCI-EXPRESS SSD Raid 0 (System)
2 x WD 6TB Black Caviar Raid 0 (Storage)
Seagate Archive 8tb (Backup)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 Power Supply

Tryed everything (unplugged everything but cpu/heatsink/memory) tryed with one stick only (1,2 &3 slots), tryed without memory, on test bench, etc.
Don't have spare MOBO/Processor.
Any ideas?

KevinS200

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
press the Q-Reset switch on your motherboard, and right after that change the LN2 mode to off, it should start up showing debug normal numbers and letters, and it should boot up right away. Hope this helps you, Good luck! :D

Burbonizer

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I know this is an old ish post but i would just like to see if anyone has clarified the code 00.

Brought a MSI Z170A M5 mobo today along with a Intel i5-6600 3.3Ghz and 2 x 4 Gb HyperX Fury 2666Mhz RAM Chips.

Got home built it all up to find that it wont boot and i get the 00 in the segment display. Disconnected everything, moved RAM modules around, swapped them, reseated the CPU, tried stock cooler instead of my H60i. Nothing!

5 hours later i have given up and have decided to go back to the shop on Monday and try and get a replacement.

This is most annoying, i have no display, no keyboard, no beeps and no boot.

Do you think this 00 code is actually the D0 code which is late cpu initialization? So is it the CPU or the mobo?

Ninjah_Meh

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Essentially this 00 LED display issue comes for me ONLY when certain configurations in bios are out of whack or have changed quite drastically prior to a reboot from bios or something (Im on m5 z170a also) what you need to do whenever this happens is on the mother board towards the bottom connectors (when looking at it as is mounted in your chassis) there is a switch called SLOW_1 which when off is set to the left. If at ANY POINT your system has boot up issues including the issue of posting 00 on the debug LED then you simply power down, and switch that to the right. This sets your bios in a way that underclocks anything that could stop it from booting and puts the cpu in a state of around 0.8ghz, it boots slowly and should initialize everything. Here you can then check out any settings you have made in uefi/bios and then try to adjust any extreme settings and turn off any ram oc's or cpu oc's. then simply reboot and allow the machine to boot past post and into the OS. finally shut down, flick the SLOW_1 switch back to the left and let her rip

you will then find it "SHOULD" boot as normal. i have had the 00 led issue many many times but i knew there would be a reason and a fix, the slow switch is the fix, the only probelm is narrowing down the exact issue of cause (my suspicion is large variable changes in uefi config or in the case of this from first boot as the last user said that uefi is just not configured in a sensible way from the offset, the slow boot switch in this instance loads 100% bootable prefs in uefi and allows you to adjust from there)

Hope this helps anyone that comes across the issues again

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Where are these switches located on the board?

ElWayno

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I had same issue with Ballistix 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz and MSI Z170-A PRO and it was the BIOS version. I borrowed GSKIL DDR4 RAM from my friend, booted, updated the BIOS to v1.7 (it was 1.4) and put my RAM back. BOOM! Working computer and happy man.

josh_79

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

Just tried this and it didn't work have i56600k sighs Msi 970gtx and z170a Moho. I was in device manager on Windows 10 and I updated the driver on software manager and my computer restarted after update and now will not display anything. I have also tried taking ram out and than back in

Bennie00

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

I have the exact same problem. I updated in device manager the firmware... Didn't know a desktop pc needs firmware. Pc restarted and it said it will do some updates now.
Now my z170a m5 will not connect to usb or the screen. I also have the same cpu.

Do you have any ideas?

KodyKensei

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Updated firmware in device manager, restarted PC, MSI was installing some updates and thus where the problem occurred of having no signal/video output. I've tried many things to get my system back and running, I ran BIOS2 after failed attempts to reset BIOS1 but BIOS2 automatically began installing updates and crashed just as BIOS1 did. 00 on seven segment display no mobo boot up, out of ideas. WHAT DO I DO?

SGamesM

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Anyone find a solution? Same thing happened to me. My computer was working fine but I couldnt get in bios when I hit delete. So i installed the fastboot utility and clicked on "go to bios after restart". And now I have that fucking 00 code

BrookenG

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
On an MSI board this is almost certainly a BIOS issue and as far as they are concerned your board is done. I could not accept that, such a pretty board as the Z97 gaming 5 is. It has no backup BIOS and I tried to update it from ver 1 to the latest. Said it worked 100% and would now reboot. It didn't. Instead I got 2 days of 00 on the post code display. I hate to be lazy but I will paste a recent reply on this same topic with hopes that this seemingly hopeless problem is not so hopeless after all.

Even though I realize this is an older post, maybe it will help someone in the future. I had this problem after a apparently failed bios update. I tried every trick as far as using a USB or a CD to restore it. Much to my amazement I got the CH341a programmer off of eBay. I removed the SMD bios chip which for this board is a MX25L6473E and soldered it to the adapter board that came with the programmer. It read the chip, I was surprised I have to admit. So I erased it and loaded the BIOS file into the programmer and wrote it to the chip. I went back to the original bios the board shipped with. I ran the verify function and then re read the chip. Went into DOS and ran FC to compare the contents and said they were identical. I used a small SMD soldering station to remove it from the adapter board and resoldered it to the motherboard. I told myself Do you actually have any hope that that could work ? I answered myself with hell no but it was fun. Well .....it worked , the post code display came alive , went into BIOS and on into windows. MSI told me it was time to retire the board.......but for less than 10 dollars and some tedious solder work I proved it can be done. If it worked on this board it will likely work on any other.

Jessie_88

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I build my computer using a MSI 170-A Pro motherboard and an Intel 6500 CPU, this is my first build so I am still fairly new to all of this but not completely ignorant at all. When i finished my build the first time everything got power, all my fans did spin a little but nothing would display and my motherboard light came on saying that there was something wrong with my CPU. After quadruple checking everything I sent back both my motherboard and CPU, rebuilt and encountered the same problem.

Please help I even got a friend of mine well experienced in building and he could not find the problem as well

This is such an old post, I suggest you open a new one. This is so long, that nobody will scroll down enough to even read and realize that this is a new problem, and needs its own solution.

May 9, 2017
perhaps this is an old post but here is the answer, get a magnifying glass and look closely at the CPU bed for a bent pin and then use a needle to straighten it out and viola ! problem is solved :) - 30 years in IT pays out every time ^^

One of the steps in the troubleshooting list is to check for bent pins on the CPU or motherboard.
Fixing a bent pin fixes bent pin problems, other issues not so much.:no:36 years in IT pays even more.:D

CurtinRM

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I just had this happen to me last night. I had put the PC to sleep like always (it's been working for about a year, no hardware changes). This morning it wouldn't wake up. Power cycled a few times, nothing, no video, BIOS, beeps. The keyboard does light up though. Looking at the mobo it's code 00.

This is frustrating as I basically haven't touched the hardware in months. It just failed overnight. Any ideas.