[SOLVED] No post, no display, tried everything to repair 9yr old ibuypower pc

Oct 31, 2020
Any advice provided is greatly appreciated (ive got about 15 hours+ of troubleshooting in with no change in condition)

I'm trying to repair a 9 yr old ibuypower pc that started failing intermittently (i would wake up in the morning after the pc had been left on overnight to a black monitor getting no video input). I would hard reset and everything would be fine. One day the screen went black and the PC would not POST, no video output at all but fans spin and all components have power. I do have a 4pin diagnostic speaker connected to mobo. Within the last year i updated from win7 to win10. I know the pc is old but id like to keep it for my kids for school.

Original components:
Mobo: Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3
Cpu: amd fx8150
Power supply: sl8850 800w
Ram: 4 sticks of 4gb ripjaw ddr3-1600
Gpu: RaedonHIS 7850 IceQ X 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E

Troubleshooting:
1. Tested monitor + cord with 2nd pc

2. Reset cmos

3.. Swapped RAM cards in every possible number and configuration

4. Purchased new GPU (raedon 570) to test. Tested on original mobo + cpu then returned it.

5. Tested psu with multimeter. 3 voltages on the 24 pin connector were slightly out of spec so i swapped with a new corsair 750w psu on original mobo + cpu. I have since returned the new psu.

6. Swapped mobo with an identical used on off ebay. Contacted seller who told me it should def be good

7. Swapped cpu with identical used part from ebay.

8. Assembled pc components outside of case.

9. Have disconnected all components except mobo, cpu, internal speaker then tried 0 ram and any combination of ram sticks.

10. Have mixed and matched mobos and cpus just in case 2 part are simultaneously bad

No beeps on startup, no post, no video. Each change made no difference in symptoms.

At this point im not sure what to do.

Thoughts?

Solution
D
Swapping things with used parts is never a good idea because you have no idea if they were good. you’re taking somebody’s word for it. Trusting anything that an eBay seller says is the wrong move

Your voltage test means absolutely nothing on the power supply. I repeat nothing. There may be voltages present but it may not be able to hold up on load

Also at nine years old it’s ready for replacement and you would be better off buying all new components and building a new PC at this point
D

Deleted member 14196

Swapping things with used parts is never a good idea because you have no idea if they were good. you’re taking somebody’s word for it. Trusting anything that an eBay seller says is the wrong move

Your voltage test means absolutely nothing on the power supply. I repeat nothing. There may be voltages present but it may not be able to hold up on load

Also at nine years old it’s ready for replacement and you would be better off buying all new components and building a new PC at this point

Solution
Oct 31, 2020

Thanks for the reply.
As far as the used parts i agree. However i was not sure that i could buy a new modern mobo that would be compatible with the older components in my system. Are the older components like ram, cpu, gpu backwards compatible on newer mobos?

Voltage test - I did swap a brand new psu into the unit.

Replacement - i have 6 people in my house teleworking or telelearning. I'd like to repair my equipment rather than buying new, its just too expensive. The pc was still faster than a lot of our equipment and handles light gaming. I am getting a new pc but that still leaves us short one device.

D

Deleted member 14196

The ram and CPU and everything else except for the GPU cannot be reused nor would you want to. This is because modern systems are so much more powerful and capable and you could probably replace what you have with a much better system for under $500