Question No post, no indicator lights, no response

Jan 16, 2021
Hey, first time builder here.

x570 Aorus Ultra
5800x
4x 8GB 3600MHz Trident Z Royal
H115i cooler
EVGA 850 GR

I’ve tried to boot my PC, and it doesn’t do ANYTHING... no indicator lights or fan movements. Tried replacing PSU, checked CPU power connector, motherboard 24-pin connector, power button connector. Motherboard standoffs are preinstalled by the case, but they looked fine/normal. Cable into PSU is fine, I checked with a voltmeter. Cpu seating good.

I know the aorus ultra needs a bios update for the 5800x, but nothing indicates the motherboard is recieving input; no lights come on at all, could this really be it? Any other ideas?

edit: if the 24-pin is out and the cpu power is still in, one of the RGB LED strips will light up for just a fraction of a second

Last edited:

P_1___

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
To me It sounds like a short somewhere.
As far as the led blinking when you hit the power switch while the board is disconnected, it' more than likely, residual power residing inside the capacitors on the board releasing their charge.
Try removing EVERYTHING from the motherboard
The video card , memory sticks, unplug the case fans. unplug the SATA cables & power to all the drives.
Have absolutely nothing plugged into the board excet the 24 pin , the proccesor, the on/off switch and the monitor ( USING ONBOARD VIDEO)

If it does power up, you have a short in one of those components .
Start a proccess of ellimination.
Unplug it , then add one item, then plug it in and power it up.
If it still powers up, That item is good.
remove it , then try the next one.
Keep going until you try the bad one.

Jan 16, 2021
Update:
Got a new motherboard, as anything I tried didn’t work.
ROG Strix X570 E-Gaming.
now, when the power supply switch is on the motherboard RGB lights up and stays on, and when the power button is hit, the PSU makes a clicking noise. Nothing else happens. As I’m using a liquid aio, I plugged in a basic fan to a second cpu_fan header to see if the aio was preventing boot to protect the cpu. When the power button is hit, the test fan moved a little, almost like it tried to start spinning, but then stopped again almost instantly. No motherboard troublesh LEDs come on

I think there’s a short somewhere, but it’s definitely not with the motherboard standoffs, I have all 9 screwed in.
It’s an AMD system, there is no onboard video.

It seems like my problems are very similar to this guy’s:

Hey guys, i'm a first time builder and have been running into loads of problems, first time I tried booting nothing happened as if my PSU wasn't even connected, so i've ordered a new PSU and have installed it but now when I try powering on my computer I plug it in and click the case power button and the PSU just makes a click noise, if I try pressing the case power button again nothing happens unless I turn the PSU on and off again, then it will once again click one time, there is definitely enough wattage to power the system, i've plugged it into the wall socket and not an adapter, i'm getting really worried that I wont be able to get this PC to work, please help

As far as I know, he never posted his solution and most/all of that thread I already tried. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-not-booting-psu-clicks.2782536/