No-POST on A7N8X/XP-M 2600

I have just built a system with:
A7N8X-E mobo
XP-M 2600 CPU
512MB Corsair Platinum PC3200 memory
All in a Antec Sonata case with a 380W PSU.

Initially it worked fine with the default BIOS settings. It configured
itself to 133MHz FSB with a CPU multiplier of 14 (= 1860GHz) and the
memory set itself to CL2 - which it is supposed to support - all fine.
The CPU ran really cool at 42 degrees.
My eventual intention was always to overclock it. But I thought I
would take things easy so I first made settings which were actually
_underclocked_ at least in CPU speed terms. I set it to 166MHz with a
multiplier of 10 (= 1660GHz). Unforunately, being an idiot, I didn't
leave it there or at least try it with just those changes. In the BIOS
settings page I noticed that those settings moved the memory down to
CL3, so I changed that manually too, back to CL2.

Now the machine seems badly busted. (I have tried resetting the BIOS
memory but it makes no difference.) It does not appear even to start
the POST. When I press the switch, the CD-ROM and HDD lights go on
briefly, but I think that is just the hardware reset. And nothing else
at all happens. No attempt to boot from floppy (which has a bootable
disk in it) or from hard disk. The graphics card (a PCI one) does not
"start up" - the monitor remains completely blank. No voice message
comes out - I removed the memory in an attempt to provoke it - but
nada.

I don't know what to do! I am resigned to the fact that I have broken
something - but I don't know what! Mobo, CPU, Memory, something else?
I don't have any spare hardware to swap in to isolate the problem.

Can anyone help? Please?

TIA

Liam

Dino

unplug the powercord...and move the"Clear CMOS" jumper to the clear position
and back...refer to the manual

Ed

On 30 Dec 2004 05:10:39 -0800, liamthellama@hotmail.com (Liam the Llama)
wrote:

>I have just built a system with:
>A7N8X-E mobo
>XP-M 2600 CPU
>512MB Corsair Platinum PC3200 memory
>All in a Antec Sonata case with a 380W PSU.
>
>Initially it worked fine with the default BIOS settings. It configured
>itself to 133MHz FSB with a CPU multiplier of 14 (= 1860GHz) and the
>memory set itself to CL2 - which it is supposed to support - all fine.
>The CPU ran really cool at 42 degrees.
>My eventual intention was always to overclock it. But I thought I
>would take things easy so I first made settings which were actually
>_underclocked_ at least in CPU speed terms. I set it to 166MHz with a
>multiplier of 10 (= 1660GHz). Unforunately, being an idiot, I didn't
>leave it there or at least try it with just those changes. In the BIOS
>settings page I noticed that those settings moved the memory down to
>CL3, so I changed that manually too, back to CL2.
>
>Now the machine seems badly busted. (I have tried resetting the BIOS
>memory but it makes no difference.) It does not appear even to start
>the POST. When I press the switch, the CD-ROM and HDD lights go on
>briefly, but I think that is just the hardware reset. And nothing else
>at all happens. No attempt to boot from floppy (which has a bootable
>disk in it) or from hard disk. The graphics card (a PCI one) does not
>"start up" - the monitor remains completely blank. No voice message
>comes out - I removed the memory in an attempt to provoke it - but
>nada.
>
>I don't know what to do! I am resigned to the fact that I have broken
>something - but I don't know what! Mobo, CPU, Memory, something else?
>I don't have any spare hardware to swap in to isolate the problem.
>
>Can anyone help? Please?
>
>TIA
>
>Liam

Try this?
Unplug PC from wall.
Press Power button on case.
Remove CMOS Battery.
Clear CMOS with jumper and just wait a few minutes.
Move the jumper back.
Re-Inset BIOS battery.
Plug in power cord.
Pray... then press power button. :)
Ed

Dino

try unplugging all hd's...cd's and power up puter...have seen that before
too..on my own system. After I did that everything powered up fine. Am just
reaching here

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> try unplugging all hd's...cd's and power up puter...have seen that before
> too..on my own system. After I did that everything powered up fine. Am
just
> reaching here

Thanks, that sounds like it's worth trying. Is it worth disconnecting things
like USB, FireWire, Audio - even the keyboard - as well?

TIA

Liam