No POST or BIOS. Clicking noise coming from PC speaker

Badurp

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hi all,

I have broken my computer but I am not sure which part I have destroyed and hoping someone can help me narrow it down!

So I was messing about over clocking and all was going well until it suddenly went wrong!!

Had 4790k stable at 1.25v 4.5mhz. Had my GPU clocked up using precision x. I noticed that the card was been restricted down by a throttle on TDP. Found a post on overclocker net with nvflash and a bios for my GPU. I think the change removed the restrictions from the cards power limiter and also allowed more power down the pcie bus. I flashed the card and it was successful, shut down the computer but then it would not stat up again...

At first it was just black screen, no POST beep and a weird clicking sound coming from the PC speaker.

Troubleshooting completed already: (will do my best to remember everything I have done)
I have firstly removed the graphics card as I assumed this would be where the problem is, I selected the secondary BIOS from the switch on card and plugged back in, still no luck. With the card removed and onboard graphics plugged in still not booting.

I then reset the CMOS and shorted out the primary BIOS to get the motherboard to back itself up, nothing happened. I did some research and decided to start removing components to see if I could isolate the problem. I removed all but 1 stick of RAM, unplugged all drives, removed GPU, no luck.

I then removed all the case fan, drive power cables from the side of the PSU. I have a CM 750w gold, half the cables are hard wired and half are connected to side. After removing these cables I got to a boot screen!

From here the BIOS reset itself from the backup as expected when I shorted it out. I was able to attach all my drives and the power cables and restart and got it to boot into Windows! However when I tried to get the GPU back in went straight back to the same clicking error.

Unplugging the GPU has not helped and I have not had any life from again even with same components unplugged...

I am thinking either the MOBO or PSU got zapped when I removed the power cap from GPU but I really have no idea so hoping for some insight. :)

Badurp

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
With GPU unplugged and monitor plugged into the HDMI port of onboard graphics I was still getting nothing except blank screen and the ticking noise through PC speaker.

Reset CMOS still nothing happening.

Same as last time I shorted 1 & 6 on my bios chip to try force the backup chip to come online.

I am now receiving display albeit only a single blinking cursor up the top left of screen. I am also receiving a POST beep. Sadly this is where it ends, can do nothing from the blinking cursor.

This actually happened first time but I forgot to mention it. Last time unplugging components 1 by 1 eventually caused the BIOS to come back. Time to try it again...

Badurp

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Was not able to get through to the BIOS even with same things unplugged as last time.

I am going to RMA something the question is what...

I feel probably the MOBO is faulty due to inconsistent startups and unable to enter the BIOS. It could easily also be the PSU causing similar issues.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can narrow down the faulty component?