Ariel_61

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Got an old MB (KT3 Ultra 2) and AMD Athlon XP 2100. PC powers up but there is no POST with or without RAM or video. Cleared CMOS replaced CPU for an AMD Athlon XP 1800 but still the same. Have no screen or post. I need some help please to find what can be the problem - MB or CPU? :(

Thanking you in advance
Ariel

G

check MB. what type of graphic integrated or external card. how many ram slots r u using. Check with another graphic card.

I am going to take a wild stab and guess you forgot to plug in the 4 cpu power connector.

Its a little white, square, 4 pin plug somewhere around the cpu socket. Usually above it or to the left. There is a PSU feed that needs to plug into that. The symptoms you describe are identical and its a surprisingly common mistake.

Ariel_61

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
check MB. what type of graphic integrated or external card. how many ram slots r u using. Check with another graphic card.
I am using 2 slots for 2x PC 2100 CL2 250MB each
Swapped original Video card ASUS V8170 Series 64MB for Triplex Millenium Silver MX440 and still the same. They work but no screen.

Ariel_61

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I think I understand the type of molex you refer to. It is called Mini fit and used to compliment the 20PIN required to power up the MB. Am I correct?
I am not using those but only a 20PIN one because there is no socket for the Mini one.

Not exactly. The one I am referring to powers the cpu. Right connector though and same basic idea. But I looked at a picture of your board and it doesn't have it. A lot of socket A boards did, but yours doesn't. Symptoms match perfectly though.

G

Yours is Agp slot based board. I myself have a Agp based board. It is dead. As ur board is very old many components on it tends to malfunction. From available specification from msi site there is something like four led diagnostic panel on the board itself. If u have motherboard manual refer to it. Do check that out. It looks like problem is related to MB. sometimes even dirty connecting pins on MB slots can create problems.

Ariel_61

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Yours is Agp slot based board. I myself have a Agp based board. It is dead. As ur board is very old many components on it tends to malfunction. From available specification from msi site there is something like four led diagnostic panel on the board itself. If u have motherboard manual refer to it. Do check that out. It looks like problem is related to MB. sometimes even dirty connecting pins on MB slots can create problems.

Ajaxmaru,
I agree with you, the MB is old and is not worth to try bringing it back to its youth. I'll have to let it RIP in the reclying tip.

Thanking you and Falcon for trying to help.

Happy Easter for both of you

Ariel