[SOLVED] No post, reboot loop. Is it the psu? Please respond ASAP thank you

Yemeni_Man

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hey guys,

I just built my pc. Everything looks fine, everything connected correctly. However, when I turn on I get no post. Reboots every 15 seconds.

I had a new pair of extra Mobo and cpu. Switched out same problem. I took out ram and ssd. Same problem. Now I think it's my psu. When I disconnect the atx12v cpu power it doesn't boot loop. When i disconnect the gpu no boot loop.

My specs:

Ryzen 3600 (1600 was used as testing alternative)

Asrock pro4 b450m (same Mobo used for testing)

16gb hyperx ram

1tb p1 ssd

Asus Rx580 4gb oc dual fan

Diypc 480w case

Fractal Design 80 plus gold 500w psu

Could it, and is it probably? The psu. Is it too little power? Should I have opted for a 600w Corsair or Antec (looking at a 600w gs600 Corsair or antec earthwatts 750w)

Let me know asap please. Thanks guys I'm seriously thinking of returning the fractal Design although it seems like high quality and i love the gold rating i feel it's the issue i have. Nevertheless I thought 500w was plenty for my build.

Solution
The B450 motherboard will need a BIOS update to handle the new Ryzen 3600!!!! If you have updated the BIOS and that is not the problems, I would start again with just the bare minimum setup, so CPU, SSD and just one stick of RAM and see if you boot. RAM sometimes can be an issue...
The B450 motherboard will need a BIOS update to handle the new Ryzen 3600!!!! If you have updated the BIOS and that is not the problems, I would start again with just the bare minimum setup, so CPU, SSD and just one stick of RAM and see if you boot. RAM sometimes can be an issue...

Reactions: Yemeni_Man
Solution

Yemeni_Man

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
The board I purchased came pre updated. In addition I tested it with a Ryzen 1600 and the same issue occurred so i don't think that's the issue. I already tried running it with just the barebone gpu psu cpu and cooler and a single ram stick. No luck. However is it a good idea to unplug everything (like usb 2.0 controller, fans, etc) to see if I get another output?

Thanks
As stated above, you will need a BIOS update in order to use that CPU.

Yemeni_Man

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
It seems to be either a MOBO or PSU issue for sure.
Well I just got another psu and the issue persists. But that's not all, I already tried another Mobo and the issue persists.

Question now is whether it's the the gpu or ram.

When I unplug the gpu and keep the cpu atx12 plugged, no boot loop. When I unplug cpu and keep gpu, no boot loop. I'm not sure but do you think I must have ram in order for it to boot and post? I've tried multiple ram configurations, and sometimes without ram. I actually looked up the ram and it wasn't in the mobos compatibility list. But I thought you don't need ram to boot or post? If you do please let me know so I can buy some otherwise I'm pretty sure it's the gpu (only thing I bought open box 'new' (there are signs it was used)) and not brand new. Thanks.

Well I just got another psu and the issue persists. But that's not all, I already tried another Mobo and the issue persists.

Question now is whether it's the the gpu or ram.

When I unplug the gpu and keep the cpu atx12 plugged, no boot loop. When I unplug cpu and keep gpu, no boot loop. I'm not sure but do you think I must have ram in order for it to boot and post? I've tried multiple ram configurations, and sometimes without ram. I actually looked up the ram and it wasn't in the mobos compatibility list. But I thought you don't need ram to boot or post? If you do please let me know so I can buy some otherwise I'm pretty sure it's the gpu (only thing I bought open box 'new' (there are signs it was used)) and not brand new. Thanks.
You definitely need RAM to boot, and almost always need it to post.

Reactions: Yemeni_Man

Yemeni_Man

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
You definitely need RAM to boot, and almost always need it to post.
Thanks so much bro

I just bought myself some new Corsair Vengeance CL16 3200MHZ ram.

Although it's not in the compatibility list, I looked at userbenchmark and found that a similar model (CL15 3000MHZ) was compatible and confirmed tested to work so I'm looking forward to seeing if this fixes the problem. If it does, fortunately the ebay store I bought the seemingly incompatible ram from has free returns.

Yemeni_Man

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hey everyone, wanted to give an update for you all just in case if anyone stumbles by this and is wondering.

I solved my issue by replacing the RAM. Apparently the last sticks I had were not compatible. After replacing everything went smoothly. So if you ever happen to be in a similar predicament, then you know what to look for.

Reactions: helper800