Question No POST, startup frozen at Gigabyte splash screen

Slatey

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2016
I have 2 PCs, one main, one back-up. Upgraded both to W10 V1809 on the weekend just gone, both worked OK afterward. A couple of days ago, the main PC got stuck in the W10 "Shutting Down" screen overnight, and I had to do a force shut down. All attempts to startup since have left me with no POST and stuck on the Gigabyte splash screen. Cannot get into BIOS as there is no keyboard function. Cleared CMOS but no change. This morning, my spare computer started showing similar symptoms - stuck on the GA splash screen for a few minutes before booting. This was immediately after a W10 update. Any ideas anyone?

Hello

Can you please confirm if you already tried updating the BIOS?

If the PC is stuck at POST, the problem may not be with Windows. Since clearing the CMOS didn't help either, please try removing the CMOS battery and then power on the computer.

On your backup computer, please try uninstalling the most recent Windows update and see if the issue is fixed.

Cheers!!

Slatey

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Have managed to partially fix the problem along your lines. I contacted Microsoft, and was told that it was a BIOS problem. Gigabyte apparently have not yet offered an update for their F2 BIOS [on both mobos], for V1809. I was instructed to disconnect all USB plugs from the main PC, other than the keyboard and mouse which allowed me into a bit of BIOS [why?], loaded optimized defaults [V1803], and the main PC now works fine. On the backup, I rolled the OS back to the previous version it had - V1709, but it still has the same problems.
Can't understand why both mobos [BIOS supposedly unsupported], worked fine with V1809 till an update two days later, then end up with different problems.
Regards,