[SOLVED] no post usb ports not recognized, do i need a bios update?

Jul 14, 2020
Hi, so I have recently brought a working MSI Platinum SLI x58 board for 20 dollars and got an x5650 to pair with it. The previous owner said he paired it with an i7-920 (this will be relevant later on the post)

I have upgraded from an LGA 1156 platform I've been using for a while but seemed to bottleneck my R9 Fury a bit.

I have built the system but apparently, I have no readings on my USB ports (front panel and IO) nor does it post (does boots up, fans runnings, no beep sound). I have tested the PSU, HDD, GPU, RAM on my old mobo, and CPU again and they still posted normally. I have also reset the CMOS battery along with using the clear CMOS button as well. I think this is because the MSI board is still in an old bios update (the board was made in 2008) and is incompatible with the X5650 as it was released in 2010 so it could be required to have it's CPU Mirco Code updated via BIOS Flash. The i7-920 was made in 2008 which is the same as the motherboard. I did some research and found out you could flash a bios chip externally (don't really know much about this tho) like using a CH412A programmer with test chip and a clip to clip it to the BIOS chip all without soldering. I don't know if this is really what is wrong with my computer and if this is the reason why. I do wonder if PC repair shops could flash my bios in the manner I stated above as I don't want to wait 2-4 weeks to get the thing from Aliexpress.

Thank you in advance

Hi, so I have recently brought a working MSI Platinum SLI x58 board for 20 dollars and got an x5650 to pair with it. The previous owner said he paired it with an i7-920 (this will be relevant later on the post)

I have upgraded from an LGA 1156 platform I've been using for a while but seemed to bottleneck my R9 Fury a bit.

I have built the system but apparently, I have no readings on my USB ports (front panel and IO) nor does it post (does boots up, fans runnings, no beep sound). I have tested the PSU, HDD, GPU, RAM on my old mobo, and CPU again and they still posted normally. I have also reset the CMOS battery along with using the clear CMOS button as well. I think this is because the MSI board is still in an old bios update (the board was made in 2008) and is incompatible with the X5650 as it was released in 2010 so it could be required to have it's CPU Mirco Code updated via BIOS Flash. The i7-920 was made in 2008 which is the same as the motherboard. I did some research and found out you could flash a bios chip externally (don't really know much about this tho) like using a CH412A programmer with test chip and a clip to clip it to the BIOS chip all without soldering. I don't know if this is really what is wrong with my computer and if this is the reason why. I do wonder if PC repair shops could flash my bios in the manner I stated above as I don't want to wait 2-4 weeks to get the thing from Aliexpress.

Thank you in advance
Are you try to boot the MSI Platinum SLI X58 motherboard with that Xeon X5650 ?
Refer to CPU support, the Xeon X5650 is not on the list, so they are not supported.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X58_Platinum_SLI#support-cpu

Jul 14, 2020
Thank you, I will try the latest BIOS from MSI's website first (once the CPU arrives) and have that as my last resort later. Do you happen to know if the file is normally flashable using MSI's MFlash or some other way?