No post when components in case

dompeace

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
So basically I bought all my components, made sure they’re all compatible and waited for the delivery. Exited to have all of my parts I set up a test on my motherboard box to check all my hardware was in working order. Fabulous I got a post with the boot light on my motherboard illuminating, put it into my case and I have no post, and the CPU indicator light is constantly on, any suggestions as to what’s causing this?:/

PC Specs
MSI B350m gaming pro motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 with sock cooler
Gxt 1060
EVGA 600w
Kingston HyperX DDR4 2400mhz 2x4GB sticks

Solution
I've managed to sort it out, seemed to be some kind of shortage due to the standoffs, none were in the wrong place so I put electrical tape over the top of each standoff, poked a pin hole through to screw the screws in and had no problems getting a post whatsoever, thanks for your help guys!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A short most likely. Make sure you don't have any unused standoffs touching the bottom of the mobo. If your case supports multiple mobo form factors, you need to make sure only the standoffs required to mount your mobo are installed. Also make sure the front panel connectors are properly installed.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What are full system specs?

Maybe CPU is not properly inserted into socket? CPU fan cable is connected to header?

The motherboard is sitting flat and firm on standoffs?

Take components out again and see if it boots. If it does maybe the motherboard is shorting in the case. If it does not might need to re-seat all connections and use a single RAM stick.

Does it have a speaker? Do you hear any beeps? If all this not work, and there is a speaker, try powering up with just the CPU see if you hear beeps for absence of RAM.

If all fails I think you need to take CPU out and inspect socket pins. Might have unfortunately bent pins during installation.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

They said the system was in "working order' when outside of the case. So I don't see how bent pins or an incorrectly mounted CPU could cause this issue if the system worked while out of the case.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Yes in theory you're right, but I've seen sockets with pins slightly bent when CPU first went it and it worked.

Moving it and placing it on the standoffs and slight movements to board while putting and screwing it down caused it to not POST. Bent pins were visually observed after lot of tests and finally taking the CPU out.

And I said that as last resort.

dompeace

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I've managed to sort it out, seemed to be some kind of shortage due to the standoffs, none were in the wrong place so I put electrical tape over the top of each standoff, poked a pin hole through to screw the screws in and had no problems getting a post whatsoever, thanks for your help guys!

Solution