[SOLVED] No Post with new R9 270

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Got an R9 270 today, was told I could run it on 450w power supply, crosschecked and that was right, as 500 is recommended, but I'm not getting any kind of POST. I've tried everything, putting old GPU back in, reseating it (It clicked when I did so so it connected properly) and yet it still doesn't work. on PSU Calculator, it says the wattage it is using is 436W with those specs.

Solution
Uh oh, XPS 8300 only supports UEFI with A07 or later BIOS, but only A06 from 2011 is downloadable from Dell which you already have. This means you can only have UEFI if your board came with A07 to A10 from Dell.

Why is this a problem when every modern GPU has a vBIOS that can boot from either BIOS or UEFI? Well many Sandy Bridge boards were BIOS but had some UEFI features so modern GPUs attempt to POST through the UEFI pathway instead of the correct BIOS one, leading to only a black screen. Just about every aftermarket board manufacturer fixed this in BIOS updates but OEMs seldom did--they wanted you to buy a new system instead.

The latest GPUs that work in such boards for sure are the MSI 750Ti with an actual physical vBIOS...
Got an R9 270 today, was told I could run it on 450w power supply, crosschecked and that was right, as 500 is recommended, but I'm not getting any kind of POST. I've tried everything, putting old GPU back in, reseating it (It clicked when I did so so it connected properly) and yet it still doesn't work. on PSU Calculator, it says the wattage it is using is 436W with those specs.

Although the draw from the wall may be less than the recommended, the recommendation is there for a reason.

For CPU's and GPU's the draw is measured at stock (TDP) It does not account for boost frequencies for CPU's or GPU's and certainly not for OC'ing. Using the 450w is prob just gonna bring head aches at some point. Getting a decent PSU with some headroom is always advisable.

I'd agree with Metal messiah, listing specs will help.

Thanks,

Keith

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
List your FULL PC specs, including the make and model of your Motherboard and PSU. Do you have the latest BIOS ? Try to clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

Did you plug the PCI-E power cable to the GPU ?
My motherboard is just a stock Dell XPS 8300 Mobo with latest A06 BIOS. I'll try reset bios settings

Uh oh, XPS 8300 only supports UEFI with A07 or later BIOS, but only A06 from 2011 is downloadable from Dell which you already have. This means you can only have UEFI if your board came with A07 to A10 from Dell.

Why is this a problem when every modern GPU has a vBIOS that can boot from either BIOS or UEFI? Well many Sandy Bridge boards were BIOS but had some UEFI features so modern GPUs attempt to POST through the UEFI pathway instead of the correct BIOS one, leading to only a black screen. Just about every aftermarket board manufacturer fixed this in BIOS updates but OEMs seldom did--they wanted you to buy a new system instead.

The latest GPUs that work in such boards for sure are the MSI 750Ti with an actual physical vBIOS switch you can toggle to force booting in legacy BIOS mode.

Solution

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019

The latest GPUs that work in such boards for sure are the MSI 750Ti with an actual physical vBIOS switch you can toggle to force booting in legacy BIOS mode.
DOes it help that the box for the gpu says hybrid bios ready?

No because that is exactly the problem. Every modern GPU has some form of hybrid vBIOS because that was required for Windows 8 certification back in 2012, even 10 years ago ATI cards had it. And those cards work fine in any motherboard made after 2012 or before 2010.

The cause is the motherboard misrepresenting itself as UEFI to the GPU when it's not, so the card can't boot properly. There have been reports of people successfully disabling the UEFI GOP module of the RX480/580 with vBIOS editing, but for most folks the reasonable solution is to buy a MSI GPU with the hardware switch to disable the UEFI mode manually. I see in addition to the GTX 750Ti they also made R9 cards with this switch: 290x, 290, 280x, 280 and 270x.

Otherwise, do as Dell wanted and buy a new system. Just not from them.

TRENDING THREADS