Question No Post with NVME installed on MSI X99A Raider

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hey all,
This is an odd problem that I haven't encountered before. I've got a Samsung 960 Pro I pulled from a working system and decided I wanted to upgrade my girlfriend's storage on her PC, which is an i7-6800k on an MSI X99A Raider motherboard. As far as I can tell, this motherboard does support NVME SSD's. I installed the 960 Pro but now the system will not post at all - can't even get into the BIOS. Everything powers on, all USB peripherals, monitor powers on, but no display. The system does post and boot into Windows just fine when I removed the 960 Pro. Here's what I've done so far:

Note: This 960 Pro is not blank - it has a previous install of Windows 10 on it from my Ryzen system, however, I'm not even trying to get into Windows off of this drive, just trying to get into the BIOS at this stage.
Switch from UEFI + Legacy to UEFI Only

Disconnect all other drives except for the 960 Pro

Tried a different NVME SSD - this one is a Toshiba something or other, Dell OEM NVME SSD from an Alienware laptop. This one did post and allow me into Windows, however Disk Management would not allow me to format this drive or delete any of the partitions on it - simply gave me a message that it was unable to do it. Could not explore any files on the drive either.

Is there something I'm missing here? This is the first X99 system I've messed with and it seems very uncooperative with NVME SSD's!

Hey all,
This is an odd problem that I haven't encountered before. I've got a Samsung 960 Pro I pulled from a working system and decided I wanted to upgrade my girlfriend's storage on her PC, which is an i7-6800k on an MSI X99A Raider motherboard. As far as I can tell, this motherboard does support NVME SSD's. I installed the 960 Pro but now the system will not post at all - can't even get into the BIOS. Everything powers on, all USB peripherals, monitor powers on, but no display. The system does post and boot into Windows just fine when I removed the 960 Pro. Here's what I've done so far:

Note: This 960 Pro is not blank - it has a previous install of Windows 10 on it from my Ryzen system, however, I'm not even trying to get into Windows off of this drive, just trying to get into the BIOS at this stage.
Switch from UEFI + Legacy to UEFI Only

Disconnect all other drives except for the 960 Pro

Tried a different NVME SSD - this one is a Toshiba something or other, Dell OEM NVME SSD from an Alienware laptop. This one did post and allow me into Windows, however Disk Management would not allow me to format this drive or delete any of the partitions on it - simply gave me a message that it was unable to do it. Could not explore any files on the drive either.

Is there something I'm missing here? This is the first X99 system I've messed with and it seems very uncooperative with NVME SSD's!
Latest bios?......non-beta.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Latest bios?......non-beta.

Yes the board is already on the latest BIOS. It also has dual BIOS and I tried flipping to the other BIOS. One that one I was getting a "B4" error which is at least something, Google search doesn't come up with much except a post saying B4 was some sort of USB error. Doesn't help me any because I've already disconnected all of the USB devices before trying to boot...