Question No POST

Jan 9, 2022
I have a Dell Inspiron 3471. On start up, the POST screen is not displayed, but it BOOTS directly into Windows 10. During the POST period, the function keys (i.e. F2, F8, F12, etc..) do not work.

If I remove and replace the CMOS clear strap, normal POST is restored. Within a couple of days, the problem reappears. I haven't been able to identify the event that triggers the change.

I've replaced the CMOS battery and the problem reappears in a couple of days. The same after replacing the power supply.

Without resetting CMOS, I've removed all USB devices. The problem remains.

With CMOS reset, I've run every Dell and utility I can find to test the hardware. NO problems found.

With CMOS reset, I've found as many ways as possible to disable fast startup. No change.

Outside of pulling the cover and removing one component at a time, I don't know where to go next.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan 9, 2022
Thank you for your suggestion, but it didn't lead to a fix.

I believe the problem may reside in,

As I understand it, POST must be satisfied in order to boot into Windows. Since it is booting into windows, is the problem in displaying the POST logo and the function keys not working?

or

Since clearing CMOS, fixes the problem, what is causing the CMOS configuration to change? Replacing the CMOS battery and PC Power supply didn't work, what else can do that?