mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I been working on my build for over a year now.Collecting every thing I need to make my own pc.And man it sure has been a ride i will not forget.
I guess I should start off with my List of PC parts I have.

NEMESIS ELITE EDITION
ASUS M2N-SLI 560i Motherboard
AMD Phenom x3 8400 2100+ CPU
OCZ GAME X STREAM POWER SUPPLY 850
GEFORCE 9800 GT GRAPHICS CARD
COOLER MASTER V-8
OCZ PERFORMANCE DDR2 MEMORY DUAL CHANNEL KIT 4GBSLI READY
WD CAVIAR 500GB SERIAL ATA HD
LG 22X DVDRW SATA W/LIGHTSCRIBE OEM
ULTRA 5.25 MEDIA DASHBOARD

I thought I would be able to use this monitor till I got my big screen tv to use as my monitor.It is a CTX monitor with a VGA plug.The Geforce 9800 came with a DVI to VGA adapter.This is how I plugged up my mointor.
I wanted the PC to fire right up but it did not.I turned it on thinking I would hear a few beeps and then right in to Bios but it did not happen.I took it back down took every thing out of it,put it all back in hoping something was not plugged up right.This as well did not help.I read the book to reset COMs,this did not help as well.

When I turn it on I have not one thing come on the Mointor.I get no beeps.Every thing comes on,even the light on the motherboard.But the mointor does nothing.I am hoping you all say it my monitor for this build.So please tell me what should I do?Please help!
Thank you!

Solution
Try to plug your computer with another monitor. You can use your TV as a monitor If you got a S-Video connector on your TV and your 9800GT, I would suggest you to plug them together to see if it works.

If it doesn't give you any result (and I presume it will not), it will mean that one of your component got a problem. The motherboard is the weakest part of a PC. If something got to go wrong after a couple of years, it's usually the motherboard. From what I read in your case, it seems to be the problem.

No beep, able to power the PC on, no post... check your mobo manual to learn about the del code and the beeb code of your motherboard. You will get a better idea. But honestly, I think you will need to RMA.

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Nope None.I think I found my answer about the beeping as well.Yes your PC should beep at start up.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223

Beep Code: Description of Problem:
No Beeps Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beep Video Problem
Three Long Beeps Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating

Next Question is where should I start?

Try to plug your computer with another monitor. You can use your TV as a monitor If you got a S-Video connector on your TV and your 9800GT, I would suggest you to plug them together to see if it works.

If it doesn't give you any result (and I presume it will not), it will mean that one of your component got a problem. The motherboard is the weakest part of a PC. If something got to go wrong after a couple of years, it's usually the motherboard. From what I read in your case, it seems to be the problem.

No beep, able to power the PC on, no post... check your mobo manual to learn about the del code and the beeb code of your motherboard. You will get a better idea. But honestly, I think you will need to RMA.

Solution
Try breadboarding the PC. Take everything out of the case. Place the board on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Plug in the PSU, CPU and fan, hard drive, video card, power switch, and 1 stick of RAM. Nothing else should be plugged in.

Try powering on the system.

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I going to do what Aford10 said.But I got one question? The mortheboard light is on.This tells me the motherboard working.But there is no way of knowing is the CPU working So why would you think it was the motherboard shoot?(RedGarl)

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
OK Got it on.Hard drive is working,Powersupply is working,CPU cooler is working,Graphic card id working.By what i mean by working all the fans are on.The light on the motherboard is on.It is green.Does this not mean the motherboard is working?There still was no beeps.

To hear beeps, you must have a speaker on the motherboard. Do you?

If you have a speaker, unplug everything including all memory, and follow this excerpt from our troubleshooting post:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time. "

Try pulling the RAM to see if you get a beep code (you should). If not, double check that the internal speaker is on correctly.

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Yeh I gave up about 2 o'clock this morning.I had a set of headphone on so I could hear the beeps.But there was none. redgarl said it was the motherboard.I how every disagree with that.If it was the motherboard I think the light would not come on.The light on the motherboard is there to tell you the motherboard is working.
Now the real question is tho,If the cpu was not working at all,would you still hear the beeps?I say you would not hear the beeps.Cause with out the CPU there would be know computer at all.Cause the CPU is a computer it self.I went to the website and got a account lastnight I should hear back from them in 48 hours.

The beep codes aren't going to come through your headphones or a speaker system. There should be a little speaker that plugs into your board that gives out beep codes. It looks like this
http://www.clearpc.ca/catalog/images/speaker.JPG

If you don't have one of those, that would be half the problem. You could get one here
http://bestbyte.net/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CACP01SP1&Category_Code=CACP&Store_Code=BB

I don't think the problem lies with your board. That being said, lights and fans can come on with a damaged board. It could be cracked or have a bad PCIe slot, or a number of other things.

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Aford10 you seem to be a nice person and do try to answer all my question.Thanks for that.
Here a good qestion I have asked.
If the CPU was bad,would this stop the beep code?

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
.Youngster
More Information
Gender : Male posts : 28 Points : 202 Joined : Wed Sep 16, 2009 Member configuration Nope None.I think I found my answer about the beeping as well.Yes your PC should beep at start up.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223

Beep Code: Description of Problem:
No Beeps Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beep Video Problem
Three Long Beeps Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating

Next Question is where should I start?

Never mind on that question.I done answer it my self in another post.No you would not hear no beeps if the CPU was bad.

You have preconceived ideas that are for the most part *wrong*, and they are getting in your way. Examples:

The beeps come from a speaker on the *motherboard*. Many motherboards do not have them. Does yours?

Motherboards are complex and fail in a variety of ways. MOST of the time they fail and their LEDs still light.

You are correct, a failed cpu would mean no beeps. But it is not the real question, and you are wrong to suspect cpu failure at this point.

The most likely cause of your failure is in fact an assembly issue, the power supply, memory, or a memory voltage/timings issue. But it could be any number of things. If you want help, you have to listen to suggestions and answer questions asked.

Starting with: "Do you know whether you mobo has an onboard speaker?"

mighttuss

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I am sending the motherboard and cpu back.Its not even a year old and has never been used.
I talked to ASUS I am new at Building Computer,but not working on them.I personal have never seen a cpu fail.As well I have never seen a new one in the box.Till this build.I checked every thing over for cracks ect.I noticed on the CPU in the corner that some of the pins was not like the others.They said it should not be that way.I told them I did not know this,I am a noob.They said to send it back to them and they would fix it.Asus was very nice about it.

So this goes to show you the cpu had failed.And for that reason there would be know BEEPS.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me.I am just a noob in the maken.So please stay toon. lol

ETplayer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Did you make sure your were electrically discharge when you began to build?

I wouldnt send it back just yet, more then sure its user error. Try and get real simple on the matter. plug in just the mobo and cpu. then add memory, video, drives, one by one. There is a great sticky about this at top of forum.