No Power From PSU

r_dettling

Commendable
Nov 7, 2017
So I've recently upgraded my case and cooling. I've added NZXT GRID+ fan controller, Hue+ RGB controller, usb 2.0 expansion. 3 120 RGB fans and 2 140 rgb. Once I had everything plugged in I tried to power up, but NOTHING! I tried to see if the power supply was not working, used a wired to jump the connections, fans, lights all turned on. I tried to plug the 24pin back into the Mobo. once again nothing. Tried an old mobo and it also did power on, dead silence. Could there possibly be a problem with the 24pin connector?

Did you also plug in the 4 or 8 pin EPS 12v connector by the CPU?

Might want to double check all of the connections again, and possibly strip down to none of the new stuff plugged in. Just CPU, RAM, CPU cooler and graphics card. If that works, power off, plug in one fan. Try again. Works, next fan. So on, until you either figure out what you did wrong before or it fails to power on likely indicating something is plugged in to the wrong place or has a problem like a direct short.

Make sure as well that you reconnected the front panel connectors, and that they are in the right places, to the motherboard. It's easy for them to get knocked loose so check that those are fully seated.

Make sure the memory and CPU cooler are also connected and fully seated. In fact, check everything here.

r_dettling

Commendable
Nov 7, 2017
I've tried all that. Now im thinking it's just my PSU. The case came with a fancy new 12v Input SATA connector coming from the power switch on top. Is that a possible issue if my PSU is old in comparison?

So, with nothing else connected except for the CPU, CPU cooler, memory and graphics card, the system will not power on? No drives connected to the power supply OR SATA headers. None of your NZXT hardware connected. No case fans. Only CPU, cooler, memory and grahics card, would leave the side panel off for now, still no power at all?

I would strip down to that setup, disconnect the power from the outlet, remove the CMOS battery for about two minutes and press the power button for about ten seconds. Then return the CMOS battery to it's position on the motherboard making sure the correct side is down, plug the power back in to the wall socket and try to boot with a minimal setup. If it turns on, then power off and connect the OS drive and try again. And so on.

Power supply is not a very good model, but it's not a horrible one either. Not a unit I would recommend for use with a system of this caliber in any case but unless it's just one of those things, and it's not working due to a defect, I'd suspect something else. Certainly it COULD be the power supply though, as I doubt that unit can actually sustain it's rated power, but you're not trying to do that anyhow, just trying to get signs of life.

If you have, or can get a multimeter, you can certainly test it for basic functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

r_dettling

Commendable
Nov 7, 2017
Before seeing your post, I sat my old case next to my current one. Plugged just the essentials in and used just the "power switch" wire from the old case. The only thing that did NOT turn on was the RGB logo on the Kraken water cooler and fan (bad wire) I'm thinking maybe because none of the HDDs are plugged in. This leads me to think my new case came with faulty wiring.

If it was your case, you could simply unplug all the front panel wiring and jump the two power pins that the power on button from the front of the case would normally be connected to on the motherboard. If you still have the same problem after doing that, it is definitely NOT the case wiring.

Unplug it all from the motherboard pin cluster where all the case wiring connects, and try jumping those pwr pins. I am doubtful that those are the issue, but it IS a possibility.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

Drives not being connected has nothing to do whatsoever with it not starting up and being able to enter the bios or POST, you just won't be able to do anything after that since there won't be an OS.

r_dettling

Commendable
Nov 7, 2017
I contacted Phanteks and they are sending me a new power switch PCB. They didn't even ask for any detail after I told them another case can turn it on hahaha. Thanks for all the info though. I'll definitely refer back to this if needed in the future.