Question No power light - did I brick my mini-desktop?

Jan 30, 2022
Hi all

I recently tried to upgrade a Lenovo q190 for my dad. Its a ultra small form factor desktop. I consider myself pretty tech savvy and have built a few desktops, and have upgraded RAM/SSDs on many laptops.

This was supposed to be a pretty simple upgrade. The case was easy to open, I did put on an anti-static wrist strap, first upgraded the RAM, booted up and everything was fine. So next I opened up the case again and removed the HD and put in an SSD. One of the screws was a bit difficult to turn so I may have tried to wiggle the HD tray a bit, may have placed my fingers on the mobo.

Well, I put in the SSD, replace the case and tried to boot, but I got no power. Thinking I may have not set it right, I reopened and re-set the SSD in the slot tightly, but no cigar. I put back the HDD thinking may the SSD is bad, but still no power.

Did I brick it? Is there any way to troubleshoot? If I zapped the board, what is the most likely component I killed?

Note: there is no power light, forget about POST or the boot screen.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022
It has a dual-core Celeron processor, 4 Gb RAM upgraded to 8 GB and a 500 GB SSD (upgraded). Its got onboard networking and some basic graphics. Am trying to attach the image of the board here w/o the RAM or the SSD Board

Wrt Windows install, I didn't even reach that point as after putting in the SSD the machine doesn't power up at all.

Jan 30, 2022
Couple other things I found on further experimenting today -

• I took both the RAM and SSD out and plugged in power, and it booted up
  • So I put both back in, and no power now
  • When I repeated by taking out both SSD and RAM again and tried powering on, it didn't boot this time, no power again
  • the plastic piece that connects from the case power switch and operates the power switch on the board has one side where a small part has broken off. But it doesn't affect the switch function in any way and the switch can be operated on off using the power button on the case. I am fairly certain this is not the problem
  • As I was putting back the cover on today, I found a magnet piece stuck to one of the i/o port of the board . It seems like the piece came off the cover so I put it back where I think it should go.
My best guess for the random behaviour is somehow the mobo is trying to detect whether the cover is on or not, cuts power when it thinks the cover is off? I dunno. Has anyone heard of or seen this kind of detection? If this is really happening, I have no idea why its detecting cover to be off.

Anyways, thanks all and do send any hunches my way to try.