Question No power on beep

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
So for starters, it's been a LOOONG time since I built anything. Like AMD K7 long...

But, to scratch a bit of an itch, I started building a very small crypto-mining rig. Hardware list:

ASUS Z390-P motherboard
EVGA 750W power supply
4GB DDR4 RAM
Celeron G3900 CPU
Cooler Master i70C CPU fin
Kingston 120GB SSD
PowerColor Radeon Vega 56 GPU

Everything but the GPU was brand new. I hooked it all up last night and powered it on...the lighting on the MB comes on, the CPU and GPU fans spin up, but no beep (do systems still beep?) and nothing displayed on the monitor.

I removed the CPU fan and double checked the CPU was seated correctly, still nothing.

Utterly baffled as to how to proceed. Don't have any other components laying around to test with....

Not sure if a photo will help, but here it is...just a link because for some reason it won't let me post a picture????

View: https://imgur.com/31QKwak

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
It's been long time since I've built a system...like AMD K7 long.

But to scratch an itch, I put together a very small crypto-mining rig

ASUS Z390-P mb
Celeron G3900 CPU
Kington SSD
4 GB RAM
EVGA 750W power supply
Vega 56 GPU

everything but the GPU was brand new

hooked it all up and the fans spin up (CPU and GPU) the integrated light on the MB come one...but no BEEP (do systems still beep?) and nothing from the display.

How could I proceed in trying to troubleshoot this? I have double checked the CPU and as far as I can tell it's seated correctly. I've also checked the power connections and they seem solid. Beyond that, not sure what to do????

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It's been long time since I've built a system...like AMD K7 long.

But to scratch an itch, I put together a very small crypto-mining rig

ASUS Z390-P mb
Celeron G3900 CPU
Kington SSD
4 GB RAM
EVGA 750W power supply
Vega 56 GPU

everything but the GPU was brand new

hooked it all up and the fans spin up (CPU and GPU) the integrated light on the MB come one...but no BEEP (do systems still beep?) and nothing from the display.

How could I proceed in trying to troubleshoot this? I have double checked the CPU and as far as I can tell it's seated correctly. I've also checked the power connections and they seem solid. Beyond that, not sure what to do????

The board doesn't support a 3900.

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Good catch. This is it.

well crap..... :)

So my lack of experience bites me.

Even though it's an LGA 1151 socket, is the issue that the 3900 is too old?

What would be the entry level CPU to go with this board then? I know the GPU does the heavy lifting, so no need to beef up the CPU...

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What would be the entry level CPU to go with this board then? I know the GPU does the heavy lifting, so no need to beef up the CPU...

Thanks!
Yep, wrong generation of CPU for the chipset used on the current motherboard. Need an earlier generation of motherboard for it (or a newer generation CPU for the motherboard you have).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks!
Intel likes doing that the support list is on their site for the board I linked.

Edit I don't see any of the G4xxx processors for sell new.

Last edited:

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Intel likes doing that the support list is on their site for the board I linked.

Edit I don't see any of the G4xxx processors for sell new.
So 8th Gen is Coffee Lake, correct? So I'd be looking at the G4930 as the most comparable compatible CPU...
Thanks for setting me straight...