Question No power reaching motherboard until I remove CMOS battery and put it back.

JayCapo23

Reputable
Apr 24, 2017
Hi there

Recently built a PC, and everything's been going great until about a week ago. My motherboard ceased to live, or so I thought. I'm thinking maybe it's the power supply, given that it is pretty old. So I went out and bought a new PSU, and replaced the old one.

No luck.

There wasn't any power getting to the motherboard. I was about to give up and RMA when I read a comment on reddit that someone removed their CMOS Battery from the motherboard, and waited a few min, put it back, and that fixed their issue.

Well I did that, and it did in fact work.

However, I used my PC for about another week, and I woke up today again to no power. I had to do the same thing with the CMOS Battery in order to get my PC to turn on.

Has anyone ran into an issue similar to this? Do I need a new CMOS Battery, or motherboard? I haven't really touched any settings in the BIOS. I'm not over clocking (besides Ryzen's stock clock boost), and all voltages are at their default. The only thing I did was set an XMP profile on my RAM in order to get the full 3600mhz. The RAM is listed on the XMP compatibility list for the board, and hasn't given me any problems. GPU is also running default clocks.

Temps are good, only playing a couple of games and the GPU never exceeds 70 C and the CPU rarely exceeds 50 C. Maybe I should monitor the other components as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MB: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X - water cooled
GPU: MSI RTX 2060
RAM: 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z Neo
Windows 10 Home

RealBeast

Titan
BIOS batteries usually last for years. Which BIOS version are you running -- F30?

I would contact Gigabyte support as this may be an issue that they are aware of with some boards, but in 35 years I've done close to a thousand builds and never seen this issue.