[SOLVED] No power to desktop

Nov 30, 2020
I just built a new PC yesterday (listed specs below). I was doing just fine, played a few games, browse the internet, etc. Then today, I pressed the power button, the computer for a split second powered on and immediately turned off and now won't turn on at all. My desk lamp flickered as well, it's plugged into the same surge protector.

Did my power supply just die or did something else just happen?

Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX
CPU Fan Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU FAN C
PU Intel i9-9900K S
SD WD 1TB Black SN750 M.2 NVME SSD
RAM G.SKILL 2X8GB DDR4 3200
GPU Nvidia GTX 960 (using from previous build until 3080s come back)
PSU Xigmatek NRP-PC 602 (600w) (using from previous build until 3080s come back)

Attached photo of the internals minus the GPU. Needed to take that out to check the lower connections.
tG7dhv4K9TJfxNEI2F1lzbEB4YSpSypXEbQGJR7hbvP_dPnH4Sj4AE_C1kV-fNcx6ySWs6RYJvZzdaCzUlovH__STqUtalItEgpYR4qqjAABQP4Mr2GpcgOCDgHJvLUjM4QSMhiKjjZJ2kTbo1uspibm7YyiKgvk-3fGEX0rM-N7ypg5A29CkwcSm3Zr1rm37ZpR2GtKhKLwkGSRqB3upItdcwVQracaNgY9Xjjyx2_Ae-ZCWKe_wgtppX2rs8VOle0IPOxNTHQTqv-XrYSOcpOigKXiYM0RZe-vuzMZM3hidnC0ydp5KUd4d6Y8lu0MiHuIGvVt1REwEt5UiJhie8B29ZycrKP7tb5zzl0FMC4XuHIImdWz7M6_Rzju5Qinp9CXyhNBspx6BMxjr9_DzUwHGxKxJ5nrDwx3GrTDw21_GpUcQ3Q80mRnPInfeAzz6P0Ih7LFabdK7KfjnhPlC2B6PX2ooxeJC1MqspGjut-hggYndudEMp10M9NvHaTluYAPVneILB2qKbZLnBpV15u8zJ8n28EU66dtnrYMRRouBa18Kt-QMEIinL-ukv-aOnrz2xOQGPVxRWZTZzOCsha_VQCL2mgDdphHoM6Nxph9S8XwnwTCPr_qOPyM4cCyRj3OLpWxprcc0h1ecGliBbCo_ZoKLymbvltx8y_jzc7Dl4WyA6qybIA8nsM_BwI=w692-h922-no

Solution
Well sometimes devices give warnings via noise, heat, intermittent performance, etc. before failing.

Other times the failure is sudden and fatal; I.e., "catastrophic".

If you are feeling any sort of shock then that is dangerous. Do not plug it in again,

Very likely that after 5 years of gaming the PSU reached its' designed EOL (End of Life) and that is that.

Any way to borrow and test another known working 600+ watt PSU?

Do not mix and match or otherwise use any cables from other PSUs.

Ralston18

Titan
No photo noted.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Make and model surge protector?

Are all surge protector outlets protected or are just some protected? Any built in circuit breaker(s)? Any status LEDs?

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage or a short: black or brown burn marks, melted wire insulation, swollen components, crimped or pinched wires.

Nov 30, 2020
No photo noted.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Make and model surge protector?

Are all surge protector outlets protected or are just some protected? Any built in circuit breaker(s)? Any status LEDs?

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage or a short: black or brown burn marks, melted wire insulation, swollen components, crimped or pinched wires.

No photo? It's there for me. I followed those instructions as well.

My surge protector is a Commerical Electric, unsure of the model I currently have it zip tied to my desk leg. It has two status LEDs labeled: "Grounded" and "Protected" both are green.

I don't see anything you mentioned. edit: However, I do hear a static-y sound when I go to plug the power cord back into the psu.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Static-y sound via speakers or just environmental?

Meaning around the power cord plug or the PSU power port?

How old is that Xigmatek PSU? Heavy use for gaming , video editing, or even bit-mining?

Could be that that PSU is simply no longer up to the task of providing the necessary wattage any more.

Nov 30, 2020
Static-y sound via speakers or just environmental?

Meaning around the power cord plug or the PSU power port?

I didn't have anything plugged into the IO panel. . As soon as the two parts meet I hear a slight static shock sound around the power port

How old is that Xigmatek PSU? Heavy use for gaming , video editing, or even bit-mining?

Could be that that PSU is simply no longer up to the task of providing the necessary wattage anymore.

Probably 5+ years of gaming. But everything was working fine last night when I powered down so I wanted to get an opinion in case it was something else.

Ralston18

Titan
Well sometimes devices give warnings via noise, heat, intermittent performance, etc. before failing.

If you are feeling any sort of shock then that is dangerous. Do not plug it in again,

Very likely that after 5 years of gaming the PSU reached its' designed EOL (End of Life) and that is that.

Solution
Nov 30, 2020

I bought a new PSU since I couldn't just simply test it. Installed and everything seems to be working fine. knocks on wood