Question No power to keyboard or mouse

Jul 6, 2020
I have been attempting to fix a PC and have been learning while I do it. The first problem I came to was when I plugged my HDMI into the GPU and it wouldn't display. Confused, I made sure all the cords were pushed in all the way and tried again but nothing changed. Finally trying to see if something would happen when I tried a USB keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard, I noticed they didn't light up as if the motherboard wasn't giving power. Any ideas that can help?

Edit: I have a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 motherboard

Jul 6, 2020
Is this a new build? What CPU? Any chance you are running a huge graphics card and a fast GPU? What's your power supply rating?
It is not a a new build, a friend of mine said I could have it if I got it working (it worked for about 2 years). My CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600x, the PSU is a 750w, and I'm only using a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 so it should be more than enough.

Jun 24, 2020
Well, I would guess that maybe a section of your power supply is bad. You could unplug the power connectors from the mother board and test them with a voltage meter to see if it's working correctly. Don't try it if you haven't any practical skills using a voltmeter; ask a handy friend with skills to check it out.

It's a place to start...

Jul 6, 2020
Well, I would guess that maybe a section of your power supply is bad. You could unplug the power connectors from the mother board and test them with a voltage meter to see if it's working correctly. Don't try it if you haven't any practical skills using a voltmeter; ask a handy friend with skills to check it out.

It's a place to start...
I got the PSU to power an old computer just fine, though it definitely requires a lower wattage. I will see if the PSU is working tomorrow when I'm back at work.

Jul 6, 2020

It's a place to start...
I checked the voltage and it was all correct (12v, 5v, and 3.3v)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry if I was unclear, but Household electric. The stuff at the wall. You should be getting @ 115-125v or 220-250v (depending), and should not see a voltage change when a something like a hairdryer or oversized vacuum cleaner is plugged in and run. Should read the same with hot-neutral or hot-ground. If something is missing, or out of spec, it can affect the psu, which needs a certain range of AC power in order to change that to DC.

Many times you'll get correct voltages at rest, but due to bad plugs, loose connections etc, once you apply a good sized load, things get funky.

Jul 6, 2020
Sorry if I was unclear, but Household electric. The stuff at the wall. You should be getting @ 115-125v or 220-250v (depending), and should not see a voltage change when a something like a hairdryer or oversized vacuum cleaner is plugged in and run. Should read the same with hot-neutral or hot-ground. If something is missing, or out of spec, it can affect the psu, which needs a certain range of AC power in order to change that to DC.

Many times you'll get correct voltages at rest, but due to bad plugs, loose connections etc, once you apply a good sized load, things get funky.
I don't think it is the power supply. I have used a backup one that I know works and tested the one from this computer on another PC and it worked fine for that one. I'm fairly sure the motherboard is dead because everything else (PSU, GPU, and HDD, everything besides the RAM, CPU, and MB) has been tested with a separate computer and still worked.