Question No power to new Motherboard

jlewko

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Need some help on a new PC build. My new Motherboard will not get power. I have tried two different power supplies, new power cables, but no luck.

Here are the details of the build:
Case
NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black

Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Power Supply
Corsair CX430 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

CPU
Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz 10-Core Processor

When I plug in the power cord to a known good socket, and hit power, I get nothing (no fans going, no lights, no sounds). I have tried a backup power supply, no luck. I know my primary power supply works as I tested with another PC. I am ensuring that both power supply ports are connected firmly (ATX case - 24 pin connector mobo, and 8 pin CPU). I even got an adapter for the extra 4 Pin connection next to CPU. No luck.

I tried a new power switch cable thinking that maybe the button on my case was busted. Ensured it was on the 2 pins outlined in the book. One odd thing is the mobo book says to connect a 3pin cable.. I have not seen one of those, the replacement cables I got are also 2 pin. Not sure If that matters.. anyone know?
Appreciate any ideas / help / etc.

jlewko

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
ok, I can look into upgrading the PSU, thanks for the response.

Update - Not sure what changed, but got power now. Had on board video too, but after a reboot, no more video. Removed my Graphics card, trying to get on board video to work but no dice, both my monitors are not getting a HDMI signal. Not sure what is going on now, but hey.. progress.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

jlewko

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Need some help on a new PC build. My new Motherboard will not get power. I have tried two different power supplies, new power cables, but no luck.

Here are the details of the build:
Case
NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black

Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Power Supply
Corsair CX430 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

CPU
Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz 10-Core Processor

When I plug in the power cord to a known good socket, and hit power, I get nothing (no fans going, no lights, no sounds). I have tried a backup power supply, no luck. I know my primary power supply works as I tested with another PC. I am ensuring that both power supply ports are connected firmly (ATX case - 24 pin connector mobo, and 8 pin CPU). I even got an adapter for the extra 4 Pin connection next to CPU. No luck.

I tried a new power switch cable thinking that maybe the button on my case was busted. Each time I get nothing back with my new parts. Appreciate any ideas / help / etc.

Removed all but one stick of Ram, removed Ethernet, and all USB except Keyboard... still no luck.

Put back in my video card, and it worked... I guess it was expecting a graphics card so did not send any display through onboard.

The odd thing was that I did not plug power into my card... Normally I would but forgot .. After some trial and error, I found my display would not work if I had BOTH the power to the Card AND the additional power next to the power for the CPU.. can only have one or the other. News to me, but I am no pro at this.

so everything plugged back in, get display.. but of course no boot device found.. it never ends, but glad the power issue is resolved, so if anyone is in the same boat, try your graphics card instead of on board, and also ensure that you have power in your graphics card, and not the optional extra slot next to the CPU power.

jlewko

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
your front panel connections are where you are having issues it seems I would give them a look

appreciate the reply, in a better spot, trouble shooting a booting to windows problem now.

I have my fix as:

Removed all but one stick of Ram, removed Ethernet, and all USB except Keyboard... still no luck.

Put back in my video card, and it worked... I guess it was expecting a graphics card so did not send any display through onboard.

The odd thing was that I did not plug power into my card... Normally I would but forgot .. After some trial and error, I found my display would not work if I had BOTH the power to the Card AND the additional power next to the power for the CPU.. can only have one or the other. News to me, but I am no pro at this.

so everything plugged back in, get display.. but of course no boot device found.. it never ends, but glad the power issue is resolved, so if anyone is in the same boat, try your graphics card instead of on board, and also ensure that you have power in your graphics card, and not the optional extra slot next to the CPU power