[SOLVED] No power to newly built computer x570 tomahawk and 5900x. I am thinking it's the Mobo or cpu gosh any ideas?

Feb 25, 2021
First time builder.
Lian Li cool mesh 2, RTX 3070,
X570 Tomahawk wifi, Amd 5900x
I flashed the bios, installed everything into case. Turned power button on- nothing happened. Rechecked connections, PSU works when connected to tester.
So troublesome. Is there a recommendation-to get it running.. greatly appreciated. As a new builder this is all overwhelming.
It's a build for my son, hope it can be running for his birthday.
Thank you

Here is a handy checklist.

Thank you for that checklist jay, I will give it a shot my friend
You're welcome.
Many times....something simple gets overlooked...something as simple as the power switch not plugged into the motherboard in the right location. Don't get frustrated and go slow.

As far as your CPU/MB question....in my experience...MBs fail way more often....but the fans being on or off really don't tell you anything.

Reactions: FriendlyOldDog
Feb 25, 2021
Rickypicky5 greatly appreciate the help.
I removed everything from the motherboard still in the case. I noticed with everything removed the motherboard lights worked and ran spun. And the on off switch started working. I added the ram and re-installed the cpu and cooler after installing each item i tuned it on to make sure the Motherboard still worked.
So far all is working- except none of the case fans. Trying to find where the 15pin connector goes(looks like Sata)- maybe that's why no case fans. I am only running m.2 drive. What could be holding back the case fans from running? Lian Li cool mesh 2

Gosh thank you at least there is signs of life on this new build.

Feb 25, 2021
Rickypicky5 greatly appreciate the help.
I removed everything from the motherboard still in the case. I noticed with everything removed the motherboard lights worked and ran spun. And the on off switch started working. I added the ram and re-installed the cpu and cooler after installing each item i tuned it on to make sure the Motherboard still worked.
So far all is working- except none of the case fans. Trying to find where the 15pin connector goes(looks like Sata)- maybe that's why no case fans. I am only running m.2 drive. What could be holding back the case fans from running? Lian Li cool mesh 2

Gosh thank you at least there is signs of life on this new build.
Connected the looks like Sata 15 pin coming from the front switch header to the power supply--Still no case fans working.

Last edited: