No power to PC after upgrades. Help!

Oct 20, 2018
Hi guys.

I have had the same build for th last 4 years no issues really.

Sharkoon case
Intel i7 4770k haswell processor
Gigabyte ga-z87-hd3 motherboard
Asus gtx 950 graphics card
Corsair vengence 8gb ram
Ocz stealth xstream 600w power supply.
Intel stock fan

I always wanted to upgrade the stock fan and add some more ram. I decided to get these i went for hyper x 4gb ram stick and a hyper 212 evo cooling fan for my gpu.

Ram went in just fine funny though i had to put my corsair and hyper x in certain slots to get the computer to boot as it would stop and restart, after a few attempts it worked fine.

Few days later i put the fan in, bit fiddly to install as i had to take the whole computer apart to mount it but it went in okay and computer powered on and i even had a game running for a few minutes, that night i turned off the PC as normal and switched off the plug socket which i dont normally do, anyway next day i came in turned everything on and nothing. No power what so ever, i can sometimes hear a like static sound going into the psu but no boot or power.

I tried reseating everything, iv taken apart the whole thing and put it back together. Nothing.

Iv tried a second hand but working power supply from.a friend, still nothing. Iv taken my own and the 2nd hand power supply out and did the trick to plug wire into the 24 pin and they both run ok.

I have tried taking everything out of the case including mothetboard and connecting up still nothing. I have also tried with various components and no components still no power at all. I have also tried the old stock fan too from intel.

I have an old dell inspiron 530 pre built i put my power supply into it and it doesnt run the fan spins for a second and cuts out, the second power supply runs it fine? But yet my own will run with wire in it. Im wondering is my board and my power supply shorted or blown?

Im really confused and really stuck on as to what to do, i dont want to buy a new board as i dont have much money.

Could any one help?

Thanks for reading.

Edit - id understand static or if i shorted something during installation but it was working fine i had a game running i just cant get it to power on.

Makes it worse its my birthday on monday and i booked off a long weekend off work to play some games.

Change the PSU, its old and probably didn't like having power taken out.
It is actually THE most common problem with switch mode psu's in electronics. They always work, until power is removed 100% then it stops working.
Replace with a spare/friends one to check first.

Oct 20, 2018
Thanks alot for the reply, I havr tried 3 power supplies, 2 older ones friends no longer use, still no power to the pc, theres no LED on my board either so i cant even see if its actually.receiving power or not.

I have tried every work around apart from a new board, problem is 1150 boards seem to be a bit few and far between now so i have ordered a cheap one as a stop gap and possibly upgrade in the future.

I remember when my Z97 went wrong, was hard to find a replacement, but I managed to get one.

So did you connect the front panel correctly? If you put the wrong power button on the wrong pins, it won't boot. Although all the button does it short the 2 pins up to start up.
I would have everything out of the case, on a table, cpu, 1 ram, connected along with PSU, and monitor into motherboard. Then work from there. Always start with bare minimum to get a computer to work.

Oct 20, 2018
Yep i have done all that tried with minimum parts and no parts, fans only or cpu only ect also ttied inside the case and outside the case think its called breadboard?

tried to mess about with power button tried to short pins with screw driver.

It was on playing a game working 100% then suddenly next day tried to turn it on and just nothing.

If you have done everything, which you probably have, it has to be a faulty motherboard.
That is the conclusion I would come to.
I know you have ordered a cheap one, I am sure that will do you, until you either find a decent one, or go for the expensive upgrade which I am dreading as well :)

Oct 20, 2018
Thanks alot i hope this sorts the issue i just cant see what else it would be. I went for a cheapo board as a stop gap until i maybe try to save up and do a full upgrade next year.