Question No power to self build gaming pc

Sep 3, 2019
Please help am trying to get advice for my 12 yr old son - he has attempted to build a pc for himself for the first time he appears to have all the parts and from what I can see they are all connected to the right parts of the motherboard based on on line instructions (I have never done this before either) When plugged into the power it does not switch on at all.

I have checked cable, sockets and switches as well as the location of wires to the mother board after reviewing online troubleshooter.

You should have a few sets of wires from the front of the case that attaches to the motherboard power/ reset/ Hard drive led/power led/ and mic/headphone(Audio) and lastly usb ports.
Get your case manual and motherboard manual.
This will show you what case wires connect to where on the motherboard.
If you need more help post your exact case and motherboard models and we can help with a few pics etc...

Sep 3, 2019
You should have a few sets of wires from the front of the case that attaches to the motherboard power/ reset/ Hard drive led/power led/ and mic/headphone(Audio) and lastly usb ports.
Get your case manual and motherboard manual.
This will show you what case wires connect to where on the motherboard.
If you need more help post your exact case and motherboard models and we can help with a few pics etc...

Sorry for the delayed response we have tried varying configurations of the wires I think you are referring to as I thought that may be the problem still struggling no power getting through at all. I am attaching pics any further advice would be really appreciated.

Sep 3, 2019
Sorry for the delayed response we have tried varying configurations of the wires I think you are referring to as I thought that may be the problem still struggling no power getting through at all. I am attaching pics any further advice would be really appreciated.
The case is a CiT G force ATX gaming tower with remote rgb fans

The motherboard is gigabyte ultra durable A320M- S2H V2

I can’t seem to add pictures to show is this enough info for you to advise

There is a block for the fan connections that also has a wire with a sticker saying reset sw coming out of it with a connector on the end as well as
- RES + on the mother board that is where all the little wires appear to go. Have tried with the reset sw wire in both and it makes no difference.

Ok. For troubleshooting, you should start with the bare minimum and work up from there. Like process of elimination.

You can actually start with just the motherboard, CPU and CPU cooler (what kind of CPU cooler do you have?) mounted and start there. I wouldn't even bother mounting it in the case on the off chance that there's a metal stand off touching the bottom of the motherboard some where.

With no RAM, no keyboard, mouse, drives.. not even an NVME drive... just the PSU, mobo and CPU w/ cooler and try to power it up. Flip the switch on the back of the PSU to "on" and touch the two pins on the motherboard for "PWR SW" and what happens? Anything?

Sep 3, 2019
Ok. For troubleshooting, you should start with the bare minimum and work up from there. Like process of elimination.

You can actually start with just the motherboard, CPU and CPU cooler (what kind of CPU cooler do you have?) mounted and start there. I wouldn't even bother mounting it in the case on the off chance that there's a metal stand off touching the bottom of the motherboard some where.

With no RAM, no keyboard, mouse, drives.. not even an NVME drive... just the PSU, mobo and CPU w/ cooler and try to power it up. Flip the switch on the back of the PSU to "on" and touch the two pins on the motherboard for "PWR SW" and what happens? Anything?
Hi we have tried attaching the PSU to the mother board with just the CPU AND CPU cooler attached and when the PWR switch is attached and we switch on an LED in the tower comes on for a second and the fan for the cpu cooler begins to turn for a second and then stops and the same time as the led goes off

The CPU cooler is an AMD Athlon processor with Radeon vega graphics on the back of the box it also says socket AM4 heat sink fan included

Hi we have tried attaching the PSU to the mother board with just the CPU AND CPU cooler attached and when the PWR switch is attached and we switch on an LED in the tower comes on for a second and the fan for the cpu cooler begins to turn for a second and then stops and the same time as the led goes off

The CPU cooler is an AMD Athlon processor with Radeon vega graphics on the back of the box it also says socket AM4 heat sink fan included

Ok. That's farther then you have ever gotten before, right?

When you did this, was the motherboard still mounted in the chassis or did you pull the motherboard out like I had suggested?

Reactions: WHealy
Sep 3, 2019
Yes it was we have moved on from this now we assembled all the components out of the case and tested step by step and got all wires attached with it all coming on.

We are now redoing this step by step inside the case we noticed that one wire was a bit loose and have resolved this and attached 2 further spacers to the back of the motherboard and so far so good we have the cpu, RAM, graphics card attached so far we will keep going like this until all wires are connected again.

Fingers crossed we are nearly there with this bit I will update when we have got everything in thank you so much it is nice to see him smile while he is doing this again.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Sep 3, 2019
Ok. That's farther then you have ever gotten before, right?

When you did this, was the motherboard still mounted in the chassis or did you pull the motherboard out like I had suggested?
All parts in the case and connected and it is still turn powering up will have to wait til over the weekend to connect peripheries thank you so much for helpful nag us to get to this point.

TRENDING THREADS