Question No power to system, ~3 month old build

yssupgod

Reputable
May 7, 2017
Hi,

I built a new computer back in May this year. It was working great as of last Saturday 7/25, but I didn't use it again until Monday 7/27 and when I tried to turn it on there was no power. Hoping you guys can help me.

When I hit the power button, no lights or fans turn on and it doesn't make any noise. I've tried a different power cord, a different outlet, a different power supply, and I tried reconnecting the power switch header and the mobo power connector (like I said these were working fine last week), but nothing is working so far. I also tested both PSUs with a cap one of them came with to test (works like the paperclip test) and both of the fans power up when not connected to the computer.

I'm thinking maybe the screws on the mobo are in too tight, so I'll probably try that next. I'm hoping the motherboard didn't just die over the weekend when I wasn't home, but that seems to be the most likely culprit. Disappointing since I just bought it a few months ago. Anyway, going to try whatever I can before jumping through all of the hoops to return it to manufacturer.

If there was a problem with any of the other components (RAM, GPU, CPU), the mobo would atleast power up, no?

This is my build:

Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI ATX
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600, 14cl
addlink S70 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3x4 M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER DirectX 12 RTX 2070 Super GAMING X 8GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W PSU
Phanteks Pro M Tempered Glass, Black/White, PH-ES515PTG_SWT Case

Cheers.

yssupgod

Reputable
May 7, 2017
Did the front panel case connectors come loose or not fully seated?

i reconnected the power switch connector a couple times and I also tried using a screwdriver to jump it but computer still does nothing.

screws holding down the mobo were also as loose as they could be already so I’m not sure what else I can do besides buy a new mobo at this point. I’ve disconnected the gpu and rearranged the ram a few different ways but still no power. Ive also tried plugging in the usb to the case/mobo ports for my cell phone charger to see if my phone will charge but it won’t.

yssupgod

Reputable
May 7, 2017
well, no ideas from the homies yet..... i have requested RMA from MSI and it looks like im about to send the mobo back to them. Last idea is maybe the CMOS battery, although I doubt it since I just bought the mobo back in May. if anyone has any ideas please share them, because it will probably take me 2 months to get a new mobo....

TLDR:
MOBO no power.
tried all the basic fixes
PSU works with other MOBOS

THANKS!