No Power to the keyboard, but yes power to the mouse

mstrealy

Reputable
Dec 11, 2017
My keyboard has no power in any of the usb ports...The mouse has power in all the ports i have tried...I have tried other keyboards with the same result (made sure all keyboards worked with other computers before trying and the did so its not the keyboard itself) Also the mouse has power in all the ports i triedso i dont believe it is the usb ports either. I took the lithium battery out for 20 mins and put it back in and still the same result no power to the keyboard. So i think some how the keyboard got disabled in the bios but i can not get to the bios without the using the keyboard...Has anyone ever had this happen or does anyone know how to get to the bios without using a keyboard...(There in no ps2 port on the computer and no reset button on the motherboard) Thanks
Mark S

Solution
If your mouse is working and you can get to your Windows login screen, you can enable the on screen keyboard via the ease of access function. This will at least let you determine if your Windows installation is okay.

You should also be able to look at Device Manager and see if any hardware is indicated as having a problem.

mstrealy

Reputable
Dec 11, 2017

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you removed the motherboard battery, did you also disconnect all other power sources (power cable, monitor, and powered speakers)? Then, did you depress the power button to discharge any residual power in the system?

Does the BIOS give any indication that it has been reset?

With the keyboard connected to a known working USB port, just place your hand on the keyboard depressing many keys. While holding down, power the system on and keep holding the keys down. The intent is to cause a keyboard error to force the system to let you access the BIOS. Have you tried this?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If your mouse is working and you can get to your Windows login screen, you can enable the on screen keyboard via the ease of access function. This will at least let you determine if your Windows installation is okay.

You should also be able to look at Device Manager and see if any hardware is indicated as having a problem.

Solution

mstrealy

Reputable
Dec 11, 2017
still no keyboard access...and it doesnt boot at all just says starting to boot and does nothing....there is no way to enter the bios because of no keyboard power.....before all of this started the computer sounded like an airplane getting ready to take off...the fan got really loud...when i boot now i dont here the noise..but when i took the battery out of the motherboard and replaced it...then it made that loud fan noise just for a second...anywayz i think its toast thanks for ur help