Question No power when cpu is in socket

gro0vyy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021
Brand new b550 motherboard a new ryzen 5600g (person I bought it from may have stolen it not sure if that matters) but when I hook everything up no power but as soon as I remove the cpu I get power. Is my psu bad??

Sounds to me like, considering you don't know the legitimacy of the CPU and paired with the fact that the system powers up when it's not installed, that it can't be much other than a CPU problem.

You are plugging in a CPU cooler before you try to start it, and also plugging in the 4+4 EPS/CPU auxiliary power connector to the board in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector, right?

Check the CPU for bent pins?

gro0vyy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021
Sounds to me like, considering you don't know the legitimacy of the CPU and paired with the fact that the system powers up when it's not installed, that it can't be much other than a CPU problem.

You are plugging in a CPU cooler before you try to start it, and also plugging in the 4+4 EPS/CPU auxiliary power connector to the board in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector, right?

Check the CPU for bent pins?
Yes everything gets hooked up properly and when I remove the cpu cooler and cpu there’s power but not when I put it back on

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
probably not stolen but rather known to not work. hence the "real good deal" you likely got. too good to be true is just that and always will be :)

obviously i don't know the exact circumstances but i've been around long enough to read between the lines here. you feel it might be stolen due to the real low price, which is an understandable guess, however the fact it is not working leans more to the seller knowing it was dead and wanted to get something out of it rather than throw it away.