[SOLVED] No power with 980ti

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
So a friend of mine have me an old msi gtx 980 ti gaming to upgrade my 770 and the pc won't power up after it's connected. Is it dead?

Msi 990fxa-gd80
Amd fx6300 black
Seasonic SS-660XP2 platinum

Works fine with my 770 but there's no power at all when the 980 is plugged in.

Solution
Your PSU is plenty of power for that setup. As I suggested the only way to know if it is truly the card 100%, which I suspect it is, is to test it in another computer.

Since the computer wont even post Im leading to believe that the card is in fact dead. If the computer would at least post I woudl recommend trying to use DDU to wipe all the drivers.

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
Someone suggested that my psu isn't big enough but everything i've read has the maximum draw at 240w I deliberately chose low power components when I built the system so they can't be using that much of the available power...

Your PSU is plenty of power for that setup. As I suggested the only way to know if it is truly the card 100%, which I suspect it is, is to test it in another computer.

Since the computer wont even post Im leading to believe that the card is in fact dead. If the computer would at least post I woudl recommend trying to use DDU to wipe all the drivers.

Solution

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
So I RMA'd the card and they fixed and returned it to me. I an happy to report that the fans now spin up and the pc posts. However it doesn't get any further... I get windows spinning spheres then no signal. It's like windows is switching the card off.

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
Tried the 980 after taking the 770 out again and got to desktop for maybe five minutes. Just downloading drivers when the display went no signal and now I'm back to square one. PC is still running but now for no reason there's no signal...