G

I have a PII-300 MHz with an Intel BX mobo. The comp froze recently and had to be powered off. However, it will not power back on. The cpu fan runs very briefly then stops. I have tried a new power supply, does the same thing. Any ideas what could be fried here or what is going on? It just seems like the power doesn't keep going through the board. Help...thanks..

Eric Carlson
(Cat144047@aol.com)

G

possibly a bad pci or isa card.

unplug all pci and isa cards, except for video card.
also unplug all drives.
power on .
if it stays on then power off and hook up one component at a time to determine which is bad

G

I have taken evreything out and put everything back in one at a time. It does the same thing no matter what. Oddly enough, now the cpu fan runs for a little longer, but still shuts off before anything boots. Any other suggestions?

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
SOunds like it may be the processor... Try the following disconnect power from computer... Then hold down power button for 20 seconds... This will reset the power supply...

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>

G

Tried resetting the power supply, same deal. I put a new power supply in, and the fan runs, but that is all that happens. If the fan goes on, can I assume the motherboard is ok, and it is more likely the processor? Should the processor have died this easily, its only a couple years old. Thanks for the replies...

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
If your power supply went bad it could take out your CPU. I would test your cpu in another computer and make sure. Have you tried a differnt hard drive in the computer? Check to see if that might also be an issue. Good luck...

:cool:

G

Turns out at least the processor is fried. Wondering if anyone knows of any good places online where I could shop around for a new one. I will probably just upgrade to a PIII and I have been checking out the CNet site to find the lowest prices. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with other companies online. Thanks for all the help.