[SOLVED] No power

nathanj_15

Reputable
May 26, 2016
Yesterday I got back after school and i clicked the power button to my pc and nothing happened. I pressed again and again and no indication of power anywhere on the pc. I tried plugging it into different outlets but nothing (these outlets worked for my ps4 but not pc). Then I tried swapping the psu power cable with a different one but with no luck (I have 2 of the same psu's). I gave up and went to sleep.

Today I decided to switch psu's so I grabbed the other one and tested it to make sure it worked, and it did. So then I swapped it into the main pc clicked the power button and nothing happened again. Can someone please help me?

Solution
Do you know what model EVGA it is? Br for example?
Every possibility that a power surge could have caused some damage, usually this can happen with poor quality power supplies for example.

Best option would be to breadboard the system entirely and see if anything changes - which means removing the system from the case, and powering up with just the PSU, CPU, CPU Cooler, MB, 1 stick of RAM. If no luck there, you're definitely on core component fault finding.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Today I decided to switch psu's so I grabbed the other one and tested it to make sure it worked
If this is the paperclip test, then that only tests that it can start up outside of the system, not that it is normally working.

What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?
Have you recently changed anything? Has anything abnormal recently occurred?

nathanj_15

Reputable
May 26, 2016
It's not the paperclip test I fully removed the old psu in favor of the new one making sure all the pins were fully pushed in for the cpu, gpu, hard drive, and mobo.

System specs:
Mobo: msi b250m pro-vd
Cpu: Intel i5 7400
GPU: evga gtx 1060 super armour
Hard drives: 2x WD blue 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache
Ram: 16gb evo potenza

No nothing irregular happened other that a 10 second power outage the day before however the computer was off during that whole day so I dont think it was affected. Also no I havent done anything irregular and nothing has changed for months in my whole setup. I'm really hoping it's not the mobo but it kind of seems like it might be🤷‍♂️😭 Any help greatly appreciated

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you know what model EVGA it is? Br for example?
Every possibility that a power surge could have caused some damage, usually this can happen with poor quality power supplies for example.

Best option would be to breadboard the system entirely and see if anything changes - which means removing the system from the case, and powering up with just the PSU, CPU, CPU Cooler, MB, 1 stick of RAM. If no luck there, you're definitely on core component fault finding.

Solution