Aug 1, 2020
My PC wont give me any sign of life after I restarted it. I seen that my PC has been on all night (It didnt go to sleep). What I usually do to solve the problem is that I restart the PC (Shutdown reset not factory reset or format).
Then my PC wouldn't give my any sign of life. No Motherboard lights. I looked on the internet on different forums and Tech YouTubers and they all said it might be the Power Supply. I unplugged it for about one minute and I plugged it back in to see that the PSU fan was not turning over
I took out the Power Supply to test it using the Paperclip method and it passed, the Power Supply is fine. I reinstalled the PSU back in, same issues were still there. No sign of life what so ever. If it's not the Power Supply. What else could it be??? I really REALLY hope it's not the CPU or Motherboard. This is my first PC build and I'm on the verge of tears. I spent soo much money and I only had the PC up and running for 4-5 months now

Aug 1, 2020
My PC wont give me any sign of life after I restarted it. I seen that my PC has been on all night (It didnt go to sleep). What I usually do to solve the problem is that I restart the PC (Shutdown reset not factory reset or format).
Then my PC wouldn't give my any sign of life. No Motherboard lights. I looked on the internet on different forums and Tech YouTubers and they all said it might be the Power Supply. I unplugged it for about one minute and I plugged it back in to see that the PSU fan was not turning over
I took out the Power Supply to test it using the Paperclip method and it passed, the Power Supply is fine. I reinstalled the PSU back in, same issues were still there. No sign of life what so ever. If it's not the Power Supply. What else could it be??? I really REALLY hope it's not the CPU or Motherboard. This is my first PC build and I'm on the verge of tears. I spent soo much money and I only had the PC up and running for 4-5 months now

Get your motherboard Manual Book out before starting if you have old computer handy boot it up and connect it to the internet you may need to research stuff just to check things out. like how to reset the bios.

1. Turn off the power at the Wall, remove power cord from power point
  2. Open the casing cover on the side you can see the Motherboard and everything connected to it.
  3. Disconnect all cables including the power supply cables to hard drive, DVDR/W units, graphic card,
  4. Now remove the Graphic card
  5. Remove all but one stick of DDR ram card.
  6. Then check those little connectors for Power Led, Power SW, Reset LED, HDD Led are firmly connected to the mother and in correct order as per your booklet ensuring the power connectors positive + is around the correct way as per the diagram in the manual. if there is no + on the connectors its black wire is negative - and White Positive+ ensure they are right way around on the reset connector.
  7. otherwise red is positive and black negative if you have different color set up.
  8. now disconnect the cpu Fan remove the cpu fan unclip the cpu holder take picture of the cpu in the cpu motherboard slot on your mobile phone if you got one otherwise draw it on paper noting the notch that shows the cpu number one pin location in respect to cpu motherboard position critical even today.
  9. lift the cpu out very gently and with a touch look to see if ant dust is in the cpu motherboard socket if so place the cpu on a plain clear piece of paper or back in its cpu box for now.
  10. if any dust gently blow it out if you need to use a vacuum again use care.
  11. once you correct that place the cpu in the cpu motherboard socket very careful then apply its holding bracket
  12. now reapply the cpu fan ensuring its firmly connected to the motherboard on all four sides.
  13. your ready to test now so reconnect the power cord to the power switch and turn it on.
  14. wait 2 minutes.
  15. press the computers power button and wait for cpu fan to start its usually the first sign of life.
  16. next look for the motherboard led display for the code you should see it going from 0 to something like 35. if its does then just Power off.
  17. turn off at power switch at the wall socket unplug the power cord.
  18. connect cable for monitor to the motherboard then to the monitor then plug in power cord and switch on power up your computer watch for led code i think it goes to 69 then the logo appears on your monitor.
  19. if it does shut down and Proceed to connect one device at a time and repeat test until you have all device connected and computer powering up to displaying the logo on screen.
  20. if all well boot into the bios and note the bios settings at the presence time then save and restart computer and allow it to boot into desktop.
  21. if in the desktop run computer for 10 minutes the restart it.
  22. if successfully restarted then you can adjust the bios for all you device according to manual just save and restart.
  23. run the computer this time for 2 hours then shut down wait 10 minutes finally turn back on computer and see what happens
now if any step fails repeat until you uncover the problem.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020
The parts list

case: NZXT H710
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: EVGA G1+ 850
RAM: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3600 (16gb x 2)
MOBO: Aorus x570 Master
Storage: 1 SK Hynix 500gb SSD and WD Black 6TB HDD

Aug 1, 2020
Update, I took everything apart and did a test bench leaving everything but the power out of the test. The Motherboard is showing 0 signs of life. No lights not even flickering or flashes of any kind. If the Paperclip test actually does prove that the PSU is 100% working, then I'm just going to assume it's the Motherboard. I did forget to mention that I built the PC by piecemeal over a time of 7-8 months and the Motherboard was the first component I bought. Not only that, I did buy it right as x570 barely dropped. I usually dont buy electronics right as they come out due to the probability of getting a lemon. Could my MOBO be a lemon? As I said, I only had the PC running for 4 months now.

TRENDING THREADS