No program list's my GPU temp ( HD radeon 4200 )

GimmeSammich

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Yes I know the card sucks.

I'm not really a gamer, but I have found one game that I enjoy recently and it runs pretty well, but since it's a competitive game I'd like to overclock it a bit to get it to run smoothly.

Problem is no program will list my GPU temperature so that I can stress test it. AMD overdrive doesn't. Afterburn doesn't. Spaccy doesn't & HWmonitor doesn't.

My drivers on the card aren't the lastest because whenever I tried to update them, then try to overclock it crashes my computer. Do I need the latest drivers to read GPU temp? Because if so... it's kind of catch 22. Don't really need temp read outs if I can't overclock :(

Here is a picture of my HWmonitor read out for some kind of reference I guess :eek:

hwmonitor-2-1.png

Solution
a 4200 is an onboard card and is on the boards chipset. so the chipset temperatures will show the cards temperature. Only some boards allow overclocking of this GPU.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

You may not be able to monitor chipset temp because not all motherboards supports that feature . For overclocking the IGP you may look into the BIOS if there's any option which allows that. It cant be overclocked by using software's...........

GimmeSammich

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Hmm well I used AMD overdrive to overclock it some I think. From 500/400 to about 650/600. I mean my original score on 3D vantage was 250 & after using AMD OD it was about 325

I'm running an HP ( I know ) so I don't think Bios overclocking is an option. AMD OD won't let me overclock the CPU either :(

GimmeSammich

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Will do, thanks!

Yup, Not going to see OC options in the bios for an HP system :)

If the system has a PCI-E slot(most do), you can get a dedicated video card in the future(just nothing over what the current power supply can handle).

Nov 3, 2021
Hey man, I am a fellow ATi Mobility Radeon HD4200 user. I have a motherboard which allows overclocking for GPU. I use a HP Compaq Presario CQ42. And it came with a 65 watt 18v 3.5A Power Brick, With a Athlon II P320, and A ATi Mobility Radeon 4200, with 2 gigs of ram and 258mb vram. So what i did was, upgraded CPU to A Phenom II N930, Because Phenom are faster and reliable. And Upgraded Ram to 8 gigs, and the power brick to a 90W 19v 4.74A Power Brick, After doing that. I could OC the GPU to 0.69Ghz on the GPU, and the CPU to 2.2 Ghz by OC'ing the FSB. Now Since my mother board has sufficiant power and allows to OC GPU, i would suggest you to download Linux, for your GPU to OC and check temps, the last time i could check temps on my ATi Gpu was on linux, but i Didnt bother downloading it, BTW the max temperature of your ATi GPU is 95 degrees, dont worry i have stress tested it, and temp monitored it. After OC'ing to 0.69ghz it runs at around 80-85degrees, on normal thermal paste, but with liquid metal i think it would drop to 60-70 ish somewhere, And btw the idle temps are 30=50 degrees whie normal usage, Glad i could help!