[SOLVED] No PS2 or USB input on login screen. help!!

francisbojczuk

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I have a custom built PC:
MSI XPOWER Z97
Intel 4790k
RTX 2070
16GB RAM
128GB SSD with Windows 10 1909

I was experiencing some troubles which I thought could be mobo related so I found earliest release of Intel USB drivers that came with the motherboard and installed them to rule that out. I rebooted and then low and behold i couldn't unlock windows, it was taking no USB input. Tried different mouse on different USB ports and still nothing. Tried USB 2.0 ports with no luck.

I ordered PS2 keyboard and still no luck. Not a hardware issue as I am able to use keyboard and mouse (PS2) in BIOS.

I can boot into recovery mode but ideally I'd like to keep my programs on the main C drive. Safe mode doesn't work either.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to possibly boot up into this hard drive and reinstall the faulty drivers without wiping all of my apps. I have a spare laptop which I can use for troubleshooting. I'm thinking if I boot from this disk on another device it'll force Windows to default to generic drivers on all ends and then I'm not sure what I'll do...

Thanks

Solution
If this happened to me, I'd restore from the latest full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, get a recovery disc or flash drive, boot from it, and try doing a repair operation. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows.
If this happened to me, I'd restore from the latest full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, get a recovery disc or flash drive, boot from it, and try doing a repair operation. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows.

Solution