News No RDNA 3 Upgrade for More Power Tool, Says Developer

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I hate when they lock down hardware you purchased like this. I have no issue with them saying your warranty is void, but it's absurd to go that far from preventing an incredibly small % of users who want to tinker with hardware they own, many of whom are actually trying to lower their voltage curves for greater efficiency and longevity.

Such a short sighted mentality, if anything allowing hardware tinkering only increases their appeal even if most would never attempt it.

Reactions: KyaraM and Papusan

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
I hate when they lock down hardware you purchased like this. I have no issue with them saying your warranty is void, but it's absurd to go that far from preventing an incredibly small % of users who want to tinker with hardware they own, many of whom are actually trying to lower their voltage curves for greater efficiency and longevity.

Such a short sighted mentality, if anything allowing hardware tinkering only increases their appeal even if most would never attempt it.
They just follow same paths as they do with their gaming processors. Lock it down as good they can. Most likely to stop unwanted RMA/support costs. And with their bad QC and QM I can see why they prefer go this route. Dell is also known for doing it this way.

A damn smart idea to stop you from grabbing last drop of performance increase. This disgusting move from AMD will help you jump on next gen HW before you absolutely need/have to. Well played... AMD. A common denominator into all this --- F. Azor... It seem Azor continue help AMD with good ideas from Dell Alienware era, LOOL

Last edited:
Reactions: OMGPWNTIME

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
They just follow same paths as they do with their gaming processors. Lock it down as good they can. Most likely to stop unwanted RMA/support costs. And with their bad QC and QM I can see why they prefer go this route. Dell is also known for doing it this way.

A damn smart idea to stop you from grabbing last drop of performance increase. This disgusting move from AMD will help you jump on next gen HW before you absolutely need/have to. Well played... AMD. A common denominator into all this --- F. Azor... It seem Azor continue help AMD with good ideas from Dell Alienware era, LOOL
?
Their cpus are not locked o_O

Sad they had to lock down this and just allow their own (crappy) driver package to manage it. At least there is a way to do it, but probably not very "legit".

I hope AMD exposes a new way or something for 3rd party tools, if there's no way already. Maybe there is, but in very AMD fashion they just have been very bad at explaining the changes? Maybe?

Regards.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
AMD is not planning to unlock the power play tables on RDNA 3 GPUs, limiting overclocking support to its own Adrenalin software.

No RDNA 3 Up for More Power Tool, Says Developer : Read more

This is NOT a screw up, it was intentional by AMD to keep people from upping the power and clocks on a 7900 XT so they would run at near the same level as the 7900 XTX like was done with the 5700 non-XT ...... A 7900 XT should clock as high or even higher than a 7900 XTX but it's actually clocked several hundred Hertz less

Last edited:

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
?
Their cpus are not locked o_O
Locked means the opposite of unlocked🆒

image.png.05841fb18ac5dee61e06fef55c1779b7.png

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/prozessoren/60302-nun-doch-oder-ein-fehler-ryzen-7000x3d-prozessoren-mit-oc-unterstützung.html

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I thought they explained why they locked overclocking with the 58003DX previously. In any case, Intel have been locking CPUs artificially from OC for decades. I think we should not muddy the water by bringing CPU as a comparison.

On the GPU side of things, I am not happy with AMD slowly limiting things that we can tinker with for sure. For example, limiting how much the slider can move to overclock either GPU or VRAM is annoying. This is basically to make sure that the product don't cannibalize sale of a more expensive model. In this case, it will likely only impact power users since most people may not tinker their hardware to such an extent.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Isn't there a way for AMD to determine if someone messed with the MPT and void their warranty, instead of locking every enthusiast overclocker out of them?

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Afterburner has been pretty much cancelled as the developers are Russian so under sanction I thought.
Not dead yet
For all those who didn't see the update, new beta update on MSI afterburner and the authors latest notes adding more clarity to the situation at this post.
key point he says:
  • MSI are indeed trying to solve the problem now. But they tried to solve it a few times during 2022 and each previous attempt failed. Being a realist I understand that current attempt may fail as well, so I simply prepared myself to the worst case and accepted the fact that project is possibly dead. Please, no need to blame MSI for this situation. It is a stallmate case, when they want to continue cooperation but see no ways to do so at the moment.

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
I thought they explained why they locked overclocking with the 58003DX previously. In any case, Intel have been locking CPUs artificially from OC for decades. I think we should not muddy the water by bringing CPU as a comparison.

On the GPU side of things, I am not happy with AMD slowly limiting things that we can tinker with for sure. For example, limiting how much the slider can move to overclock either GPU or VRAM is annoying. This is basically to make sure that the product don't cannibalize sale of a more expensive model. In this case, it will likely only impact power users since most people may not tinker their hardware to such an extent.
It's what it is. And you can't compare Intel's non K processors vs their higher end SKUs. And the new coming v-cashe chips ain't their +-200$ models. Locked is still locked out from overclocking. And AMD themself said next gen X3D wold be different. Now we also see the same attitude for their graphics cards. Yep, it's what it is. New times now. And I only answered on the question from tamalero :)

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
So, the rumors of the cores with no vcache being overclocable were a lie then. Hmm...

Hopefully the performance will be enough to not need overclock capabilities. After all, the 7000 series seem to perform better when down volted a bit instead of letting it run to 95C all the time.

Reactions: Papusan