[SOLVED] no rgb header on mobo with lian li uni sl120

Ron damri

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
hey so i own a a little old cpu/mobo(i6700k with asus z170 board) and i want to change a few fans in my case, i want to get the lian li uni sl120(3pack) because you can daisy chain them and i love thier rgb now the 3 pack comes with somesort of a controller but its still need to connect to the motherboard via 5v rgb and i dont have that connection cus this mobo is a little old, and you need it to control the fans with thier software, what i want to ask is if there is some solution to this? maybe a adapter from a mobo usb connection to 5v rgb or something(i didnt find any online).

Solution
I could not find a place on the Lian Li web pages to download a manual for these fans. BUT it does say clearly that the 3-pack includes their Controller, AND that you MAY connect that controller to a mobo 3-pin ARGB header if you have one, but whether you actually USE the mobo signals to control your lights is an option you CHOOSE using their software tool.

The way these Controllers work is commonly that they have a connection to a SATA power output from the PSU for power, a cable to connect to a mobo case fan header using the new PWM Mode to get that signal for fan speed control, another cable to connect to the mobo's 3-pin ARGB header IF you have one, a third cable to connect to a mobo USB2 header, and output ports for the fans. You...

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Hi Ron

The best thing to do if your motherboard doesn't have a header is to get a fan hub. With a fan hub you do not require motherboard RGB connection, but only SATA connection to your power supply. You should get a fan hub that comes with a remote, then you can control your fan lighting with your remote. The only reason people connect their RGB fans to their motherboard (even if they have a hub), is to sync their RGB with their existing RGB components like motherboard, CPU, Ram etc.. Seeing that you don't have RGB on your MOBO a nice fan hub with 3 fans including a remote would do the trick perfectly for you. Just make sure your power supply have the correct SATA cables to connect to a Fan Hub.

Hope this helps and solves your question.

Ron damri

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Hi Ron

The best thing to do if your motherboard doesn't have a header is to get a fan hub. With a fan hub you do not require motherboard RGB connection, but only SATA connection to your power supply. You should get a fan hub that comes with a remote, then you can control your fan lighting with your remote. The only reason people connect their RGB fans to their motherboard (even if they have a hub), is to sync their RGB with their existing RGB components like motherboard, CPU, Ram etc.. Seeing that you don't have RGB on your MOBO a nice fan hub with 3 fans including a remote would do the trick perfectly for you. Just make sure your power supply have the correct SATA cables to connect to a Fan Hub.

Hope this helps and solves your question.
i have a hub and the uni sl fans comes with one but the problem is the only way to control their rgb is with the software because you can do a lot of effects other then just changing colors, i want to be able to use the software, if i use only the sata connection will i be able to use the software? in this video you can see how the sofware works:
View: https://youtu.be/psrybC0Y6rE?t=823

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
i have a hub and the uni sl fans comes with one but the problem is the only way to control their rgb is with the software because you can do a lot of effects other then just changing colors, i want to be able to use the software, if i use only the sata connection will i be able to use the software? in this video you can see how the sofware works:
View: https://youtu.be/psrybC0Y6rE?t=823
Unfortunately you won't be able to connect the motherboard with the fans if there isn't a connector on your MOBO. Your SATA connection is only going to power the hub but not going to connect it to the MOBO hence you won't be able to use the software unless you get a motherboard with a similar RGB head to connect to the fan hub, only then will you be able to do all those cool RGB effects with your fans via software.

Ron damri

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Unfortunately you won't be able to connect the motherboard with the fans if there isn't a connector on your MOBO. Your SATA connection is only going to power the hub but not going to connect it to the MOBO hence you won't be able to use the software unless you get a motherboard with a similar RGB head to connect to the fan hub, only then will you be able to do all those cool RGB effects with your fans via software.
ok, thanks a lot for the help.
is there any way to connect it to the MOBO via a usb connection maybe or something?

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Not that I am aware of. I have kinda a similar issue whereas I have 4 pin RGB connectors on my Motherboard but the RGB exhaust fan I bought is a 3 pin ARGB connector (I misread when I bought it). There isn't even a way to get a converter for the pins because the one is 12v and the other 5v and apparently you should not try messing with any voltage converters.

I guess the only way you will be able to connect your RGB fans to be compatible with the software is to get a new motherboard. A RGB remote controller with a fan hub is the only way otherwise.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I could not find a place on the Lian Li web pages to download a manual for these fans. BUT it does say clearly that the 3-pack includes their Controller, AND that you MAY connect that controller to a mobo 3-pin ARGB header if you have one, but whether you actually USE the mobo signals to control your lights is an option you CHOOSE using their software tool.

The way these Controllers work is commonly that they have a connection to a SATA power output from the PSU for power, a cable to connect to a mobo case fan header using the new PWM Mode to get that signal for fan speed control, another cable to connect to the mobo's 3-pin ARGB header IF you have one, a third cable to connect to a mobo USB2 header, and output ports for the fans. You download and run their software utility, L-Connect. This uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Controller, and that is how you do all your control adjustments. ONE of the options in that software is to allow control of the lights to be done entirely by the ARGB signal input from the mobo header. BUT if there is no such signal, you simply cannot make that choice, and all control is done with L-Connect. You do NOT need the mobo ARGB header, nor do you need any additional control nodule.

An alert. I see by the web page that Lian Li has had trouble with the L-Connect software, and recommends two things currently. One is to download and install a firmware upgrade to the Controller, and the other is some procedures to update the L-Connect software so it all will work as planned. Before buying, check with Lian Li whether they really HAVE fixed their problems so that the system works!

Solution

Ron damri

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015

The way these Controllers work is commonly that they have a connection to a SATA power output from the PSU for power, a cable to connect to a mobo case fan header using the new PWM Mode to get that signal for fan speed control, another cable to connect to the mobo's 3-pin ARGB header IF you have one, a third cable to connect to a mobo USB2 header, and output ports for the fans. You download and run their software utility, L-Connect. This uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Controller, and that is how you do all your control adjustments. ONE of the options in that software is to allow control of the lights to be done entirely by the ARGB signal input from the mobo header. BUT if there is no such signal, you simply cannot make that choice, and all control is done with L-Connect. You do NOT need the mobo ARGB header, nor do you need any additional control nodule.

An alert. I see by the web page that Lian Li has had trouble with the L-Connect software, and recommends two things currently. One is to download and install a firmware upgrade to the Controller, and the other is some procedures to update the L-Connect software so it all will work as planned. Before buying, check with Lian Li whether they really HAVE fixed their problems so that the system works!
omg thx so i can use their software, i dont care about it being snyc with my mobo cus i dont have any other rgb anyway(accept from my GPU)