Question No room for a PCIe x1 card on Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero ?

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

I am building a workstation with an Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero Mobo...

When I install an ASUS DUAL-GTX1660TI-O6G-EVO card to the first PCI slot: PCIe x16_1, the small PCIe x1 slot is buried under the GPU card!

The second PCIe slot: PCIe x16_2 would work but then the manual says that "the PCIE x16_1 slot is assigned for installing a single GPU card".
So I lose access to the small PCIe x1 slot where I need to install a 'UAD-2 SOLO PCIE' sound card ?

So how am I going to do that? I wish I could use the PCIe x16_2 slot instead for the GPU. Then I can use the small PCIe slot for my sound card.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Lutfij

Titan
Regardless of what you put on PCIe x16_2 your first PCIe slot will run at x8, so you're just better off dropping your discrete GPU into PCIe x16_2. In retrospect, mind sharing what your PCIe devices are as well as your storage layout?

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I don't have any fast SSD cards. M.2 and what not...
I have one mentioned PCIe mini express card and one more PCIe SATA expansion card.
I have about 10 HDDs and one SSD...

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
"Regardless of what you put on PCIe x16_2 your first PCIe slot will run at x8 "

I didn't know that. That's disturbing... I thought if you use the second slot while you already occupying the first slot, then the second slot becomes x8... Silly me... But really silly them!

Last edited: