[SOLVED] No screen.. constant beep

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hi, my retro PC with an S3 ViRGE/DX GPU won’t start. Constant on off beep whenever i boot it up. Read up about it, somewhere said it could be video. Since it’s mid 90’s parts, my assumption is that my 2007 square lcd monitor isn’t supported and I need a CRT. All parts were tested before i bought to be working and were esd bagged. Comments?

Solution
It should still work with an LCD screen. Although, it will probably look better on a CRT. However, it is worth a shot if you can get a hold of one.

Regarding the keyboard, the default BIOS setting will halt the system with no keyboard detected. However, the system should still POST under this scenario.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more info. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It's possible that the board might not like the rams. You didn't mention the sequence of the beep errors either. That would be necessary.

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
We're going to need more info. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It's possible that the board might not like the rams. You didn't mention the sequence of the beep errors either. That would be necessary.
CPU: Pentium MMX 166
Motherboard: ASUS VX97 Rev 1.01
RAM: 4x8mb 72 pin SIMMS
HDD: Not currently plugged in, don't need at current time
GPU: Already said
PSU: Antec 430W, got a power adapter though for it as the mobo needs AT power
Chassis: Seriously?

As I said, the system has been tested before it was sold, it was also in ESD bag (all the parts). I did mention the beeps, its a constant off and on beep for ever. Uniform, same length/pitch for as long as the PC is switched on.

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
This motherboard has an Award BIOS. A continuous beep points towards a RAM issue. May I suggest trying out one or a few RAM sticks at a time.
I've tried that... I'll double check now.
EDIT: Doesn't work by just removing 1 ram simm at a time and testing with remaining amount. still the same with no RAM. Doesn't work with trying individual slots either.

Last edited:
It should still work with an LCD screen. Although, it will probably look better on a CRT. However, it is worth a shot if you can get a hold of one.

Regarding the keyboard, the default BIOS setting will halt the system with no keyboard detected. However, the system should still POST under this scenario.

Solution