[SOLVED] "No signal" after installing new GPU driver

pellop

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi! Today I installed a new Palit GTX 1660 to replace my old GTS 250. Following advice read on this forum, I used the DDU in safe mode to completely remove the previous installation, and downloaded and installed the latest driver. However, as soon as the new driver is installed, the screen goes black and I get a No Signal message. When I reboot I always get the no signal again just after the Windows logo.

I tried several things: updating BIOS, resetting CMOS, latest drivers downloaded both from the Palit website and directly from Nvidia, two other driver versions from a few months ago - every time with the same result.

My system is a custom build from 9 years ago and I decided to upgrade the GPU first, before eventually passing on to the motherboard and CPU, since it was lately giving me errors especially when starting up my PC (beep code errors, sometimes with strange squeaky noises, freezes and no signal during startup and during the initial minutes after startup).

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall my GTS 250 since I could not get the new 1660 to boot properly after the driver installation. Any advice would be appreciated since I am now at a loss as to what to try next!

These are my specs:

Operating SystemWindows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPUIntel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz 61 °C
RAM12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
MotherboardASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D (LGA1156) 62 °C
GraphicsASUS VC239 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 55 °C
Storage931GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA ) 39 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 46 °C
PSUCorsair VX Series, 550 Watt, ATX, PS/2 (CMPSU-550VXUK)

Solution
No, it's not "too powerful". But the motherboard might be the problem. Especially since you say you have been receiving "beep code errors, sometimes with strange squeaky noises, freezes and no signal during startup and during the initial minutes after startup "

Does the new card work fine until Win finds a driver for it?

pellop

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
That’s exactly what I did.

After I install the new card it boots up fine. Then when I install the driver I get the black no signal screen and that’s it.

I repeated this whole process over and again, reseating the car, using previous driver versions, and also resetting cmos, but always with the same result.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's what I wanted to know; if the new card produces a display when installed. That it is just the driver installation that causes it to fail.
Nest question: have you forced Win to do a Update so that Win finds the latest Nvidia driver for the card?
It won't be THE latest driver, obviously. But it will be a relatively recent Nvidia driver.

pellop

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
That's what I wanted to know; if the new card produces a display when installed. That it is just the driver installation that causes it to fail.
Nest question: have you forced Win to do a Update so that Win finds the latest Nvidia driver for the card?
It won't be THE latest driver, obviously. But it will be a relatively recent Nvidia driver.

Yes, I did that, and the driver install failed. I also tried a couple of other drivers from April and July this year, and got the same no signal message.

Meanwhile I have tried installing the card on another pc, with a more recent motherboard and CPU, and it worked flawlessly, using the latest driver I had tried installing on the other pc.

Could it be that this GPU is “too powerful” to be supported by the rest of the components (motherboard/CPU/PSU) I have?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, it's not "too powerful". But the motherboard might be the problem. Especially since you say you have been receiving "beep code errors, sometimes with strange squeaky noises, freezes and no signal during startup and during the initial minutes after startup "

Solution

pellop

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yes, though I have not tested it for a long period of time before trying to install the driver, it never gave me any errors before I actually installed the driver.

DSzymborski

Titan
May I hop into this discussion as well ?

I have the very same problem as the OP, the only difference is that I don't have PC beeps or motherboard sounds/ errors and the like. And that my GPU is 2060 RTX Super Strix.

In short, GPU runs fine without driver ; I have RGB lights, fans are spinning, PC always boots with it and I can do stuff like browsing without problems (of course, gaming is excluded).

When I install the driver, at the moment when "the GPU might flashes a few times", it's not a flash but a screen going black - and that's it, no display whatsoever.

I think at this point, PC dies as a whole as, the keyboard and mouse lights die also, and I can't activate keys like num or caps lock. And then I boot the PC, I have display up until the windows logo, then screen goes black again.

I have a fresh install of windows 10, 1903 build, installed on purpose for this card, as before I had build 1609 and nvidia drivers refused to install "windows not compatible" bullshit. The point is, I think we can exclude the part of system/ file corruption.

Some users said that they had a strange bug where, displayport is not recognized/ working, but HDMI does.
I tested both and, to no avail.

Also, I took into consideration that power might be insufficient (might be !?), as I have a 500 W PSU Seasonic ; but many users report that their 2060 RTX works fine with a 500 W. Anyway, problems should be when I am gaming and games could crash from insufficient power, but should at least boot ! (get into windows, my thinking).

Please don't hop into someone else's thread. You have very different equipment and GPU problems like this can be a number of different problems, not to mention your symptoms aren't even identical given your lack of pre-existing motherboard problems. Start your own thread with a full list of your specs and let pellop's problem get the full attention in their thread.

Mercenaru

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I am sorry, I didn't mean to steal attention.

I am used with other forums where, making another thread on the same problem/ topic is considered bad.
I thought it would be OK posting here on the same thread.

Last edited: